General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Could a bad pcu lead to abs failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Exclamation Could a bad pcu lead to abs failure?

I have a 1997 honda accord ex. My check engine light came on recently and was then followed by my abs light and i no longer have anti lock brakes. I ran a scan on the check engine light and it said i had a bad torque converter, but i did some research on it and it stated that a common problem with my year is that the check engine light will come on stating a transmission fault when it's really just a PCU failure. so my question is if i replace my pcu will my abs begin working again, and has anyone else heard of my kind of problem?

Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
Haven't heard that kind of problem, but the first thing is to get the actual error code number. Not just the description "bad torque converter".

Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Jim. Post the actual code on here. It will start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Welcome!
Haven't heard that kind of problem, but the first thing is to get the actual error code number. Not just the description "bad torque converter".
Thanks i will run the scan again and get back to ya. but i know that the car shifts and runs perfectly fine plus i did a tranny drain and fill just to be safe.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Ok, I went to auto zone and had them scan again. The result was code: P0740

Old 09-21-2010, 06:37 PM

Welcome!
the code is P0740 hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder accord? Your ABS problem may be a different issue than the D4 light.

You can also short a service connector with a piece of wire or a thin paperclip and get the transmission code and the abs code. Your 97 will only have the two pin connector under the glove box in the instructions linked below. The D4 light will flash the transmission code. The ABS light will flash the ABS code.

See: dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

For the D4 light, a long flash =10, short flash=1. So, LLL S = 41.

For the ABS light, the ABS light will turn on for 2 seconds, pause for two seconds. It will blink the main code quickly, pause for one second, then flash the sub-code. There will be a 5 second pause then the next code (or same code repeated) is flashed.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder accord? Your ABS problem may be a different issue than the D4 light.

You can also short a service connector with a piece of wire or a thin paperclip and get the transmission code and the abs code. Your 97 will only have the two pin connector under the glove box in the instructions linked below. The D4 light will flash the transmission code. The ABS light will flash the ABS code.

See: dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

For the D4 light, a long flash =10, short flash=1. So, LLL S = 41.

For the ABS light, the ABS light will turn on for 2 seconds, pause for two seconds. It will blink the main code quickly, pause for one second, then flash the sub-code. There will be a 5 second pause then the next code (or same code repeated) is flashed.
alright, i will have to take a look, and my obdII plug is actually behind the ashtray. also, i have a vtech four cylinder with 115000 miles.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

P0740 = lock-up clutch not engaging
(corresponds to a trans D4 flashing code of 40)

I'm not much of an auto-trans guru, I like to have 3 pedals on the floor. But I don't think this P0740 would be related to the ABS problem.

I think your 1997 still has the 2-wire OBD-1 connector even tho it also has the OBD-2 connector. So if you jumper that & follow the instructions PA gives, you can watch the ABS lamp for flashing an error code. Normal OBD-2 scanners (like AutoZone) won't read ABS codes.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 PM

P0740 = lock-up clutch not engaging
(corresponds to a trans D4 flashing code of 40)

I'm not much of an auto-trans guru, I like to have 3 pedals on the floor. But I don't think this P0740 would be related to the ABS problem.

I think your 1997 still has the 2-wire OBD-1 connector even tho it also has the OBD-2 connector. So if you jumper that & follow the instructions PA gives, you can watch the ABS lamp for flashing an error code. Normal OBD-2 scanners (like AutoZone) won't read ABS codes.
yeah i found that out, but the thing is my car doesn't show any signs of a transmission problem. It runs and shifts perfectly, and i would also prefer a manual, but it was low miles and good condition so i jumped on it.

Quick Reply: Could a bad pcu lead to abs failure?