General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could my alternator be dieing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Could my alternator be dieing

So last week I had attempted to jump start a car. I had it connected for about 15 minutes. I don't drive the car to often anymore but about 4 days later I took it out for a spin and all of a sudden the engine died. I got it pulled to the side of the road and tried to start it. It took a few attempts but had to take the key out and it then started. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. This happened one more time and then was fine until I got it home. I had about 4 miles into the drive when it first happened and then about 4 miles to get home with it not happening. I just took it out and did the same thing but in less distance than the first time. When it happened today I tried to crank on it for about 10 seconds and then had to take the key out and try again and in a few cranks it started. It also only happened twice and when the car was running still had power with no other issues. Not even sure my alternator is the problem but since thats the only thing I might have pushed to its limits last.

Car is a 93 Accord EX 190K miles w/ f22a 5speed. Car has over half tank of gas and is the same gas I get all the time.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I must of had some water in the tank, added some heet and dont seem to be having the issue anymore. I do hate living in this tundra..

Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

glad we were able to help.

I'd have suggested checking the ignition switch since all your in/out key movements seemed to make a difference.

BTW: which / where tundra?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by UhOh
glad we were able to help.

I'd have suggested checking the ignition switch since all your in/out key movements seemed to make a difference.

BTW: which / where tundra?
I am leaning towards the ICM being the issue. Im going to replace it tomorrow, its a high of -21 today. I live in ND.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, -21....that is cold.

Which makes what I'm about to say almost impossible....worried about you being safe.

When it dies you really need to figure out what is missing.

Spark? My thoughts here, in order: ICM , coil or the fact the key switch stops sending power to the Ign System (Dist).

Fuel? Main relay.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Jason Friesz
... its a high of -21 today. I live in ND.
I've never even seen temps below -12, let alone had to drive then on daily basis.
Best Luck - you're beyond my experience.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I went ahead with the ICM replacement and it has corrected the issue of stalling out. But now I have some other issues which i'm afraid its due to brittle wiring in the distributor. My tach quit and my cruise doesn't work which isn't a big deal but i'm about to take a job that takes me on the interstate and id like to just set the cruise. I think ill just go ahead in a month to replace the entire distributor.

I haven't got a chance to look at any fuses but I was just wondering if anyone knew if blue wire on the icm has to send any signal to the cruise control system. I looked at a diagram and I see a blue wire that connects to the cruise control unit.

I thought I had the blue wire connected good to the icm but maybe I didn't get a good connection. I know the yellow/green wire was super brittle and I had to tape it a little.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Never mind, I just went back into the distributor cap and found I forgot to connect a wire to the ICM, my bad... Thanks everyone for the help.. today's was a high of 20 above so I thought I get this figured out.. HEAT WAVE

Oh and the -21 was my mistake, I had reset my android phone and the weather app I had installed was set to Celsius, so it wasn't all that cold but still below zero.