General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Could use some help

Old 01-14-2007, 05:34 PM
RONAN
Unregistered
Default Could use some help

Hi all, new member here.
I`ve got a problem with my son`s 87 Honda Accord.
It won`t start.
I`ve checked that it gets spark and that the timing belt is not broke. I`m assuming that it`s a fuel problem.
I changed the canister fuel filter under the hood about a year ago.
Is there a secondary filter somewhere else? like back at the tank?

This same thing ocurred about 3 weeks ago and I was able to finally get it started, by shooting starter fluid in the filter housing. I just figured that it might be bad gas, so I took it down to the gas station and dumped a can of seafoam in and filled the tank. Problem went away until today.
I sure could use some advice on where to look and troubleshoot...
Thanxxx

Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Could use some help

is it carburated or injected ??

if carb , there is a fuel filter at the back left by the fuel tank.. also you might to make sure that you are getting power to the fuel pump also back left at tank.. if you get power at pump and no fuel, most likely you got a bad fuel pump ,,if no power , possible fuel pump relay , ocated in the fuse box , under dash left side

if injected . it might be a bad main relay .. again chk to see if power at the pump ,, if no power , chk the main relay , if power bad pump

Old 01-14-2007, 08:56 PM
RONAN
Unregistered

Thank you for responding, My apologies for not mentioning that it is fuel injected. I was able to get it started again after depressing the accellerator about a quarter of the way down and cranking for a while. Once it started and ran for about 5 minutes, I shut it off and restarted the car about a 1/2 dozen times without a hitch???
I`m still at a loss at what is causing this problem??? Is there a secondary filter at the back like you mentioned on FI models???

Old 01-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hi, the LXi model only has the one fuel filter underhood against the firewall.
FWIW those TEKdist. rotors are notorious for shorting thru to ground, might be worth the cost to install a new one.
What are the spark plugs like ? what type/brand?

Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM
RONAN
Unregistered

I verified that it`s throwing a good spark. What I`m gathering though is that it could still be a distributor problem? How would I go about troubleshooting or verifying that it`s the problem?

Old 01-15-2007, 02:35 PM

Make sure that you are using NGK spark plugs for one, remove the cap/rotor and see if there is a split anywhere or a strange line that looks like it's arcing when it's not supposed to be. Make sure all of the wires in there are secure and tightened down. Also, turn the key to position 2 (on) and listen for the fuel pump (may require two people) if it doesn't "cycle on" consistently it might be a main relay issue....

Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 AM
RONAN
Unregistered

Thanxxx, I`ll inspect the cap for cracks and burn marks and listen for the fuel pump. I`ll do a tune-up on it this weekend.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

oh this is fun; Flash back time Spray the inside of the dist cap with some carb cleaner, then let it evaporate, then look for one of my gray beard hairs, any crack in the cap will show as a thin gray line.
To test the rotor, get the cap out of the way and hold the end of the coil wire with insulated pliers; put the end of the coil wire about 1/4 inch from the center of the dist. rotor.
Have someone crank the engine over. Watch the spark carefullyit should try to jump AROUND the side of the rotor, if the spark goes to the center of the rotor, replace it. The rotor can still be throwing some spark out to the plugs but grounding part of the energy as well. [weak spark]
Your spark plugs can also tell part of the story on the no start situations, like if they are all wet and gas soaked or bone dry.
While you are in there grab the rotor and see if you can twist it a little and have it spring back in place; that tests to see if the mechanical advace is frozen or good. Also pull a little vacum on the advance diahprams to check for action from them.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:55 PM
scherry
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

if injected . it might be a bad main relay .. again chk to see if power at the pump ,, if no power , chk the main relay , if power bad pump
hi first time poster here, with the problem you described above. my car a 1987 Accord LXI won't start. I have no power to the fuel pump, I installed a new main relay and still no power to the pump. what do you suggest I check next? a pic of the wiring diagram would be nice if anyone has one.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:15 PM

You could have either a bad fuel pump cut off relay or believe it or not a bad distributor cap can cause the relay to not come on and not give you power to the fuel pump.... I had that problem on a carbed 81 civic last weekend.... Here's a link to download a manual so you can get the wiring diagrams, did you check your fuses as well to make sure that one wasn't blown?

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could use some help