General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO and a pre-purchase inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 PM
jelliott7276
Unregistered
Default CPO and a pre-purchase inspection

Would you folks suggest getting a pre-purchase inspection anyway from a independent mechanic?

Jay

Absolutely No if and or buts.. take it to a shop that specializes on Hondas ( I would not go to any do it all shops ) and ask for a buyer's inspection .it might cost you 70-80 dollars But it will be the best money that someone can ever spend on their car..

No matter what they say, DO not buy the car till you have it inspected

OOOOOOOps i pushed the edit button instead of the quote button .........[] SORRY [][][][]..

Do you mind re-inputting your question ?? Thank-you..

Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Default RE: CPO and a pre-purchase inspection

Ask about the Honda transmission problems with the 98-02 models. Ask if this car has had any problems with the trans. When driving it, note any hard shifts or clunky noises coming from the transmission. Honda replaced a lot of transmissions from 98-02. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:21 AM

I had a pre inspection of my own years ago when I used to buy cars out of the newspaper, lots of things were walk around, some were cold and hot engine issues and some I had to go on a long test drive so I could pull wheels and tires and look at brakes and suspension parts. Let it set and do some talking then restart after a hot soak and see how it ran fully warmed up.

The shop I just quit had a safety inspection and it was not what people want looked at prior to buying a car, maybe half. There is just too much to look at to be happy, a scanner is needed too, thats going to cost for everything. No real profit for the shop.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 AM
jelliott7276
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: jelliott7276

Would you folks suggest getting a pre-purchase inspection anyway from a independent mechanic?

Jay

Absolutely No if and or buts.. take it to a shop that specializes on Hondas ( I would not go to any do it all shops ) and ask for a buyer's inspection .it might cost you 70-80 dollars But it will be the best money that someone can ever spend on their car..

No matter what they say, DO not buy the car till you have it inspected

OOOOOOOps i pushed the edit button instead of the quote button .........[] SORRY [][][][]..

Do you mind re-inputting your question ?? Thank-you..
No problems Desert...I think the only part that isn't there are the specs on the car. It's a 2002 Honda Accord V6 Ex with abotu 73,000 miles on it. The dealer has given it certified pre-owned status.From my research, I've found that would infer that they have gone over the car and inspected it and should have replaced and repaired needed parts so as to bring it back up to speed. My gut tells me they probably say the heck with it, slack the CPO sticker on it, never test it, give it a wash and armor-all the wheels and put it back out on the lot and wait for the car to explode after I leave so I have to sink a ton of money into it. Then my question is: Would you folks suggest getting a pre-purchase inspection anyway from a independent mechanic?

To add: I don't know of a mechanic that is primarily a Honda mechanic. There's a local Christian Brother's Automotive that I've hear good reports on.

So I guess to sum up here, the fact that they put certified pre-owned on the car doesn't mean anything at all right?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

CPO means very little. If you are buying CPO, you should also get a warrantee so that any mechanical repairs are covered. 6th gen is a great car however the tranny sucks. On mine, the only precurser noticable for tranny problems is that after a hard drive, I can hear a pretty loud click when I throw it in R to back into my paking spot. If you do buy it, plan on installing a Hayden 403 tranny cooler immediately. The DIY's for this are pretty easy to find and I've posted a few links to a good one on HAF.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:00 AM
jelliott7276
Unregistered

Good advice. I'm all about getting my hands dirty. I suppose if there are awesome detailed specific directions with pictures, I could pull that off.Now, can you give me a little more information on what the transmission cooler does (besides the obvious) and how that is going to help the car? Plus, where do you get one? What is a fair price on one?
Also, if I check the Regional Honda forums for the Alabama area, do any of those folks ever get together to help each other works on their cars?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 AM

look on ebay. There is a tranny cooler that is stock and the additional one helps it cool better. Heat kills trannies and the 6th gen AT is pretty crappy from this respect. The cooler cost less than $50, more like $35 from what I've heard. Search for it here and you'll find my link.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:11 AM
jelliott7276
Unregistered

Rog that. PS Falkore. When I saw the picture in your post (the NES dog) I had to run and grab my wife. We have a mini schnauzer with floppy ears that looks like this dog. I'll post a pic some time. hehe

Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Rog that? what does that mean?

LOL .... my avitar gets a lot of attention here, but I've thought of changing it to my dog in a similar pose with a photoshopped night sky background.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 AM

i think it means 'roger that'

in agreement.

Quick Reply: CPO and a pre-purchase inspection