General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cracked Window Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Default Cracked Window Assembly

SO my window decided it now longer wanted to move up. It stopped working while the window was about half way down. OUT OF NO WHERE!! I tired manually lifting it and it would not let me. So, I took off the panel. upon ispection it turned out that that plastic pulley thing inside the frameword was cracked and had broke in a few places. I pulled out that plastic mechanism from the top and then was able to lift my window and duck tape it. What is that plastic pulley thing..it had a wire running around the pulley. It no longer runs around that pulley. It looked like the pulley was connected inside, to the metal panel. How can I get to that!??? Does the metal panel on the door come off easily.

How do I fix this myself. I took pictures and will try and post them soon.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Cracked Window assembly

what you are describing is the window regulator ......you need to replace it ..
there are 2, 10mm bolts that hold the window glass to the regulator, remove those,put window all the way up and tape it up for now,, remove all the 10mm bolts holding the regulator to the frame, disconnect the motor plug, , remove the regulator,in some years and models regulator comes with motor ,in others you have to remove the motor from old regulator and install it in new regulator , once it is out chk the status of the run channel , if it looks ok, clean it and lube it, install new regulator , line up the regulator to window mounting bolts so you can install them easily, lower the glass into regulator and install the 2 , 10mm bolts, ... make sure window goes up and down smoothly and does not jump off the track and seals properly , reinstall door panel.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Default RE: Cracked Window assembly

Great..thanks for the quick reponse. Sounds like a proceedure though. Questions. By removing those 10mm bolts, will that then allow me to remove the inside window frame (metal). As of now, I just removed the interior panel. ONce removed I was able to see some of the windows guts but looking through the cutouts on the metal panel. The regulator is behind that, no?....where the tracks are, between the outside part of the door and the metal panel?

I can't seem to find a post on HOW TO acutally re-install the regulator. How do I re-harness that pulley wire to the new regulator, as it seems that the old wire is kinked.

pictures or diagrams??

Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Default RE: Cracked Window Assembly

up please

Old 03-19-2007, 03:28 PM

I did a big writeup on this process in the DIY section, I just did my regulator/motor on my 94 about 6 months ago... You'll remove the 3 bolts that hold the regulator/motor on (towards the front of the door) disconnect the wiring harness, remove the 4 bolts that hold the track in (2 towards top center, 2 towards bottom center of door) then that whole assembly (motor/regulator/track) will all come out, I pulled it out through the hole in the rear left of the door. It sounds like you already disconnected the window (glass itself) from the track but if you haven't then you'll have to lower the window/track down about 3/4 of the way until you can see the two bolts (through the metal, interior door panel) and remove those two bolts. So you should remove 9 bolts total, re-installation is a breeze once you've done the removal it all makes sense.... also, I ordered mine from 1aauto.com, they were the best price I could find plus they offer a lifetime warranty

Old 03-19-2007, 03:57 PM

cool. I saw that when I was searching. I was only confused by how to take the thing out. Thanks you SIR

Old 03-19-2007, 09:55 PM

No Problem.... let me know if you run into any snags.... it's all still fairly fresh in my memory so I'm sure I can walk you through it...

Old 03-22-2007, 06:44 PM

Just got my regulator in the mail today. Might take a crack at installation after work today. How much time should I allow as my light is the sun.

thanks for all the help

Also, should it make sense that after I initally took the door apart to see what was going on, and i pulled out the assembly partially, that my passenger side no longer works? It was working initally when I discovered my drivers side not working.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:04 PM

If you already know how to remove the door panel I'd set aside about 1-2hours at the most... it's fairly straight forward.... as far as why your passenger side isn't working now my guess would be either a blown fuse or perhaps the circut links through the drivers side controls.... I'm not sure.... I'd say just fix the drivers side first and then troubleshoot from there.... If you can get a spare set of hands to help with the install it will make things easier if someone else holds the window up while you re-install everything.... then, before you put the door panel back on be sure to run the window all the way down and make sure the front edge of it is still inside that track, if it's popped out it causes some funky roll up issues....

Old 03-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Thanks To everyones who helped on this thread Thanks to sir-nasty's DIY too. I succesfully swamped out my window regulator. Window is working strong now.

However, once I got my door back on and went for a ride, I realized I couldn't open my door drivers side door from the inside. I had to roll down my window and open my door from the outside. I must have somehow, disengaged my innner door handle mechanism. ANy clue on how to fix this. I'm thinking it's probably something easy to deal with.

thanks!!

Quick Reply: Cracked Window Assembly