General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

crank holding tool?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default crank holding tool?

I can only find a tool for 90 and up, but i need 1 for my 1988? anybody know where i can find one?
thanks
matt

Old 08-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: crank holding tool?

Check ebay for several more reasonably priced tools.

good luck

Old 08-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

well my crank does not have the bigger size hex around the center bolt to hold to, so, the common tool i can find wont work
i have tried to air impact wrenches one craftsman 340 ft lbs and one home depot 525 ft lb of torque
i am using the craftsman 33 gal air compressor, is that not big enough? should i go with a power impact wrench? are they better?
thanks
matt

Old 08-10-2007, 10:20 AM

W/ an impact wrench the key to getting fulltorque ratingis a short, larger diameter ( 3/8" id x 20 ftor less) hose to allow max air delivery. Use only the impact socket on the air tool (no extensions). Even w/ this you may run into problems. I've found on 90 and later models that breakout torque is usually in the range of 700-900 ft-lbs. This is outside the capacity of most air impacts, and they frequently just won't do the job.

A goodoption is to jam a pry bar securely against the flywheel teeth. Some Accord models had a rubber grommet that could be removed to access the flywheel. You really need someone to hold the jam in place while you break the pulley retaining bolt, butsome have managed this w/o help. In worst case, you can remove the starter to access the flywheel. There is a risk if this is done carelessly to break a flywheel tooth. A torque o 700 ft-lbs yields a force on the tooth of perhaps 700 bls, not trivial. This would really be a bummer. Careful if you do this.

What size is your harmonic balancer retaining bolt? What size is the hex opening? If you can find a large hex nut that will fit the opening and allow your deep socket to penetrate, you can simply weld an extension to the nut to create your own tool. Note, how the extension is added to one end of the hex tool and tool is pretty long, so two nuts might need to be welded end/end.

good luck

Old 08-10-2007, 10:31 AM

If you haven't tried it already then leave the air impact gun on there for a little while and let it "bang away" for about 30 seconds. Do you have your air compressor PSI set really low?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i had the impact gun on it for a couple minutes several times, prob at least 10 times, and part of the time it was longer say 5 minutes, the psi, i had the tank full at 150, had the dial set on 85 and went to town on that bolt
i also tried using a torch and heating up the bolt first, no luck
i do have the hole in the cover, i would just need to jam a crow bar in there and stop crank from turning?
btw, my bolt is only 17 mm, everywhere it says it should be 19?
reading some old posts,a guy used a ridgid r6300 and it worked well for him, but its only rated at 450?
thanks
matt

Old 08-10-2007, 11:59 AM

If I recall right the person who used the rigid tool used it on a slightly newer vehicle. This may sound dumb but have you double checked that you are going in the right direction? And even with the flywheel being held, as stated, be carefull, make sure the holding device that you use is seated all the way down inbetween the teeth and not just catching the top of one. Even with that you need a large breaker bar and a lot of "lead in your rear" as some people may say...

Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 4montecarlo

i had the impact gun on it for a couple minutes several times, prob at least 10 times, and part of the time it was longer say 5 minutes, the psi, i had the tank full at 150, had the dial set on 85 and went to town on that bolt
i also tried using a torch and heating up the bolt first, no luck
i do have the hole in the cover, i would just need to jam a crow bar in there and stop crank from turning?
btw, my bolt is only 17 mm, everywhere it says it should be 19?
reading some old posts,a guy used a ridgid r6300 and it worked well for him, but its only rated at 450?
thanks
matt
"i do have the hole in the cover, i would just need to jam a crow bar in there and stop crank from turning?
btw, my bolt is only 17 mm, everywhere it says it should be 19?"
Yes, it's simple but make sure it's well braced and not likely to move and exert all the restraint force on the tip of a flywheel tooth.

good luck

Yes, it's

Old 08-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

some cranks had a 17 mm bolts other a 19 mm bolts ,no biggy ..if you have an impact gun try going back and forth,, ( tighten it up, loosen it up, ) i have found that it has worked for me on many occasions on stubborn bolts

Old 08-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yup, i even tried the impact in the forward direction in case tightening it just slightly would help it loosen easier
thanks for the ideas, will try again this weekend
matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crank holding tool?