General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank position sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Default Crank position sensor replacement

Hey guys long time no see,
So My CPS went out and i bought a new one. I have my car in pieces right now and ive pulled everything off down to the last timing belt pulley. I cant find the crank position sensor anywhere? Any help would be much appreciated. If you want pictures of where I am at feel free to ask.

Thanks

1995 honda accord lx 2.2

EDIT:
I have looked around HAF and have seen pictures of this thing. Everything looks exactly the same as my car obviously but there is no damn CPS under my crank pulley. Im at a loss and would really like to have my car running so I can go to woprk tomorrow... :/

Last edited by Tyler Joyce; 09-20-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

For the 95 4 cylinder, it is part of the distributor housing. It's different than the 96-97 Accords.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:09 AM

Okay so I bought a new dizzy. Hopefully this helps. I also have some other problems and im trying to figure out if its related... My car has a major loss of power ever since I replaced my timing belt yesterday. Sometimes it runs normal sometimes it stalls out and is really hard to restart. Its like when I step on the gas when I am actually moving it just kinda bogs down and feels like there is a potato in the exhuast or something. Kinda like a vacuum leak. Im not sure if any of this is related.

I just adjusted my timing also with a timing light and that seemed to have helped a little bit. (BTW, its supposed to be timed in between the two red marks on the middle mark not the white TDC mark, right?) It says one thing in chilton but shows a picture of another. Right now its timed to the middle red mark.

Ive also heard ECU could be at fault since my car still somewhat runs with a CPS sensor code? How true is that?

Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It is possible this code could be due to a faulty ECM. If you replaced the distributor and same code returns, check the sensor resistance at the ECM/harness connection. If resistance is good, then ECM is the problem.

good luck

Old 09-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

you need to recheck your timing belt job and make sure all the marks are lined up

Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
you need to recheck your timing belt job and make sure all the marks are lined up
I was afraid to hear that.. But I kinda had a feeling thats where I was headed next.. What are all the marks I need to line up? I put the bolt in the maintanence hole for the rear balancer shaft. The cam pulley I lined the two marks up with the head. The front balancer shaft I just lined up with the mark that is on the engine. I didnt see anything to line the crank up with but it was at TDC. Im wondering if I might have put the belt on just one tooth off? Ive heard that can make a huge difference. Its also backfired on me a couple times.

I know when lawnmower engines backfire the timing is almost always off. Same principle? Am I putting another 10 hour day in tomorrow?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
It is possible this code could be due to a faulty ECM. If you replaced the distributor and same code returns, check the sensor resistance at the ECM/harness connection. If resistance is good, then ECM is the problem.

good luck
I should get the dizzy on monday. Should be a quick job after work and ill let you guys know what happens after that. If the code returns and resistance is good, ill let you guys know.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Is that first picture of the crankshaft pulley?

Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

That first picture is the sprocket that drives the timing belt or the balance belt. It is behind the crank pulley.

The crank pulley is the third picture.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 PM

I dont think I aligned that pulley when we put it together.. But wouldnt adjusting the timing with a timing light fix that regardless? Or does it absolutely have to be like that?

Quick Reply: Crank position sensor replacement