General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank(weird) no start,have fuel & spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

It's pretty easy to just remove the upper timing cover to check the cam timing marks. You can rule it out pretty quickly, in case that's not the problem.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

tuabuelo:
I can’t tell from your post if the engine cranks faster or slower than normal. If it doesn’t crank fast enough it won’t start and too fast you are missing one of the components needs to start fuel, spark and compression. If you can share more about what is happening when you crank the engine it would help.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yeah it cranks faster, I have spark and fuel but logic is there from JBlake and your post that I lack compression causing the faster spinning of the starter gear (valves not completely closed etc) unfortunately I had to put another car in the garage for repair last weekend and pushed this heavy sucker out and now during the week I get off awfully late from work so have to wait for the weekend to pop that valve cover off, I have a 97 helms for the accord but its not as good as other helms. I've done many belts on tegs and sohc's but this was my first with a balancer belt and my helms is not very clear on how it should be done other than how to install a bolt in the side to keep one of the pullleys from moving. thanks for the responses

Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Weather cleared up and finally got the chance to check the timing. The timing is dead on at tdc. even after numerous turns. Would the starter cut-out relay be causing this? where is it located in a 96 ex(I have a 97 helms and its not where it shows it) How about the ignition switch? what would be the best way to test it? It almost sounds like when you have a ground disconnected. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

That helm for the 97 accord should be identical to the 1996 accord.

Your timing belt didn't jump any teeth, which is good news. Do a compression test, just to rule out internal engine problems.

Even if your starter is weak, it should spin the engine fast enough for the car to start. Check that the connections on the starter are clean and secure. You should also check that all ends of both battery cables are on clean and tight.

If you have a timing light, hook it up to each wire and see if the light flashes when you try to start the car. I had a thread where a member thought that he had good spark, but really didn't. There were 30+ posts of diagnostics before the mystery was solved.

Have you checked for any codes stored on the ECU? There is a blue two pin connector below the glove box. Short it with a piece of wire or a thin paperclip. Count the CEL flashes. See: http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Your 96 will not have the three pin connector next to it.

Also, do you hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds when you first turn the key to the II position (don't try to start the car)? Its a faint whirling/buzzing noise that comes from the back seat. You can listen at the gas fill cap, but you will need an assistant to turn the key.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Compression test will tell if any valves are bent. Sorry I made you check the cam timing, but now you KNOW its good - don't have to assume it's OK.

Engine "should" start even if the starter cranks pretty slowly.

Check all the things that PA said.

What's the starter cutout you mention? The clutch interlock (or neutral-safety for auto)? That would prevent the starter from running AT ALL, so that's not it. Your starter runs & spins the crankshaft, right?

Old 02-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i am having the same issue .... well kinda.
My car doesnt have a spark but the rotor under the distributor is spinning but its slow or so it seems to me. I have no clue as to why its not firing.
I dont have a voltage meter but i guess i need to get one but i have no idea how to use it. Sounds bad but i really have very limitied resources and knowledge.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

THanks Jim and PA, will check all suggestions, yes I have fuel along with the whirl of fuel pump, its just that the crank does not sound normal, and it does turn all components when cranked, I would understand if the crank sounded normal but it does not btw starter is new and sounds the same as the old one.Starter cut-out relay if I remember correctly. Starter does turn the crankshaft cause position of the rotor moved to different location. Thanks again you all a great help and support

Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh forgot to mention that I will be checking all of PA's suggestions this weekend, unless something unforseen happens, checking the cam timing was comforting to me, rules it out so worthwhile suggestion Jim

Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You may need to replace the spark plugs. If they got gas fouled even cleaning them may not get then to work. You said you have spark, fuel, and the engine is cranking fast enough so that is what I would do next.

Quick Reply: crank(weird) no start,have fuel & spark