General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Default Cranks but won't start

I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX that cranks but won't start. Fuel Pump will not engage when key first turned on, Power windows, turn signal, and wipers won't work, and no instrument lights come on when the key is turned. Everything else appears to work. (radio, 4way flashers, dome lights) I've tried searching for codes but the reader says unable to comunicate although the same reader has worked multiple times in the past.
Car ran great until I was picking son up from school and shut it off then when I tried to start it would only crank but not start. Had it towed to the house and was checking fuses under hood and when I was putting the screw back in on one of the large fuses, it sparked. Tried to start the car again, and it started. Ran great for about two weeks, and now I'm having the same problem but the same accident that started it last time isn't working again.
Any suggestions?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest putting your vehicle details; year, trim, no-cylinders in your signature line.

For 4-cyl. Fuse No. 7 in under-dash fuse box supplies fuel pump. Check this.

However, absence of any dash lights suggests an ignition switch problem. This has been a problem on earlier models and other brands of vehicles also.

There are checks that can be performed on ignition switch assy to verify faults. A shop manual is necessary. check automanualsource.com for a emanual for your vehicle.

good luck

Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 AM

Sorry about that. I've added it to the signature line but in case it doesn't work it's a 2003 4cyl accord ex. I've checked all the fuses. 19 is what the manual says is for the fuel pump. Not sure if it matters but the main dash light comes on, just none of the warning lights. Going to purchase the haynes manual today to see how to test the ignition switch assy. Will let you know how it turns out.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM

I read the circuit diagram item no. on fuse (7) which referred to Fuse 19. Sorry.

Alt, Check Engine, and Oil Pressure lights should be on w/ switch in On position. Absence of these would make switch assy more likely.

good luck

Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM

I got the Haynes Manual finally but I don't see anything in it about a way to test the ignition switch assy. It gives ignition system checks but nothing about testing the assy, its all about testing the battery, fuses, relays, and for spark. Is it not possible to check the actual assembly to see if its good?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Please don't take this the wrong way but I would get a better manual...for $22 I bet you could get something better.

Attached Thumbnails Cranks but won't start-7th-gen-ign-switch-test.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 AM

Can you tell me what repair manual that came from?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM

OEM manual. Check automanualsource for an OEM emanual for $21.99.

good luck

Old 01-23-2013, 06:59 PM

Wow, I'm a genius! And I don't mean that in a good way. Thank you for the picture before I forget because I don't know as I would have found it in that manual anytime soon but I did download it. Anyway, I tested the connections last night and they all had continuity the way the manual says. Tonight however when I looked at the page in the manual I could see the whole picture and I relized last night I tested the connector attached to the steering wheel not the relay box. When testing the connector on the relay box as it says there is no continuity in any key position. Meaning the I have to replace the steering lock, correct?
Is it normal that there would be continuity at the connector on the steering column but none at the connector on the relay box?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Switch assy is separate from lock assy. You need to replace the electrical switch assy, usually about $35 and readily available.

Check youtube videos for help on this. Lots of good videos of the process.

good luck

Quick Reply: Cranks but won't start