General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cranks, but won't start...RPM Gauge goes crazy in key position II, just bought...HELP

Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Default Cranks, but won't start...RPM Gauge goes crazy in key position II, just bought...HELP

Ok, here goes... I'm hoping someone empathizes.
1994 2DR Accord EX AUTO f22b1

Went 3 hrs to get this as a 3rd vehicle for 85mi commute and have had nothing but nightmares since, but i know it is probably previous owner mistreatment, still love me some Honda, I'm just not a tech.
It made it around fine for several days and after replacing a caliper bracket bolt the guy forgot to put back in the caliper, I was so excited to get it running...and then it wouldn't start.
The problem now is that: It won't start. It cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks, but won't turn over. It even sounds like some exhaust is putting out the back. The bum I bought it from said he replaced the distributor. After extensive research the distributor is a Rich Porter HT01 (aftermarket) and is definitely new. It looks like it was a whole unit with coil, cap and rotor and everything. The weirdest thing is that the RPM gauge goes nuts in ignition switch position II, usually after trying to crank, and sometimes before trying to crank. It's like something's shorting out or something.
I can hear what I think is the relay/fuel pump kick on (humming) when I turn the key on.
The coil (I'm guessing) is good (but maybe not) because I've taken the whole distributor off and on a couple times now and it sparks when tested (like crazy)...actually maybe a little too crazy? Because it seems to be in conjunction with the crazy tachometer needle activity and when the key is back to position II after trying to crank you can hear the coil sparking like crazy with the cap on, until you turn the key off.

At first my manly intuition was telling me: new distributor (but it's all brand new) - now I'm thinking Main relay or fuel pump possibly? Ignition Switch? EGR? Clogged fuel lines? Plugs/Wires? I bought some cheapo plug tester off ebay and it seems as though the wires/plugs check out...

Had the battery tested and it's at 110%. Not bad battery or connection.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 PM

use the shop manual to go over your ignition system. something sounds borked.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Need to work backwards here. Need to confirm spark at the plugs. It "sounds" like a coil or ICM issue but testing is required.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 AM

Thanks gentlemen! Going to put new plugs in today and possibly a coil. -How do you test an ICM? ...Is that the ignitor?
**Update: I tried to turn the radio on this morning (for the first time in several days) after trying to start a couple times and it says 'CODE' on the display. What does this mean? The radio used to work.
Thanks again!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 AM

You should go with poor a approach, take our plug with wire have friend crank while you push plug and wire against chassis. Look for spark.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you might have remove the battery at some point. The radio is looking for the code before it will work again. If you can't find the code in the glove box somewhere - owners manual, card, sticker, something - you can Honda of America and usually they will give you the code - you have to give them the VIN.

ICM and ignitor are different terms for the same thing.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 AM

Could it possibly be the starter? It tries to crank and the distributor rotor turns...

Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 AM

No if it turns it's okay

Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 AM

Do the spark test at the plug

Old 08-05-2012, 02:22 PM

ok. update: New plugs bought and tested and in and all test good. So plugs and wires, I guess, are good. Ignition coil still freaks out in key position II. Seems to be in conjunction with the RPM gauge freaking out as well...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cranks, but won't start...RPM Gauge goes crazy in key position II, just bought...HELP