General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Crankshaft Bolt... Ugh

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Default Crankshaft Bolt... Ugh

My weekend project was to change the timing belt, balance shaft belt, tensioner, and water pump... My weekend is half over and I still don't have it taken apart.

I am looking for any tips and/or advice on removing the crankshaft bolt. I have looked around here and found some different things, but so far I'm not having any luck. I saw someone post that they bolted a chain through a hole in the pulley to keep the engine from turning... My pulley has no holes.

I haven't been able to find anywhere I can get a screwdriver or anything into a hole in the flywheel to hold it.

I have an electric impact wrench, but it doesn't have the ***** to crack it loose. I don't have a suitable air compressor to use an air impact wrench.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-02-2013, 12:02 AM

Doing it with no compressor, oh boy. I would take another jack with a board or block of rubber and jack it up against the pulley (not too hard) then get piece of pipe to put on my ratchet for leverage.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by john_pyro
My pulley has no holes.
Doesn't it have a hex?

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft Bolt... Ugh-htup_0804_03_z-removing_honda_engine_crank_pulley_nut.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 08:37 AM

Roader,
It does have a hex, where do you get the nifty tool?

Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

That tool is the correct way to do it.

The incorrect way is to jam a screw driver in the flywheel either in the hole under the rubber grommet on the front where the engine meets the transmission. Or under the car where there is a flimsy removable cover that covers the flywheel.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

O'Reilly auto parts in my part of the country loans them out:

www(dot)oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFM0/W83168/N0717.oap?ck=Search_N0717_PFM_-1_-1&mn=Performance+Tool&mc=PFM&pt=N0717&ppt=C0374

Old 06-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Even w/ the handy crankshaft restraint tool, you will also need two, good 1/2" x 18" breaker bars, 1/2" x 16" of extensions, a jack stand, 19mm deep socket, and a cheater pipe (3-4 ft) to go over 1/2" breaker bar to gain enough leverage to break the bolt.

Breakout torque is something like 600-800 ft-lbs. Heating crankshaft bolt head w/ propane for 5 mins may help reduce breakout torque. It did help me w/ ingersol 1/2" air impact tool.

good luck

Old 06-02-2013, 06:49 PM

This is what I used ( 96 accord )

Powerbuilt 648796 Honda Crankcase Pulley Removal Tool - Amazon.com Powerbuilt 648796 Honda Crankcase Pulley Removal Tool - Amazon.com

you will need two 1/2 breaker bars. I then put a 6 ft 1 inch pipe around the breaker bar and with all my weight 180lbs rocking a bit on it, it finally broke free. I also put long pants, heavy coat, safety glasses on in case I went flying when it broke free.

I also put the spare tire on for stability with the wheel turned slightly to make room for the extension. Then used a jack stand to support the extension and pushed and pushed and pushed.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Thank you all so much, I am going to see if an Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts in my area has one of these tools in their loaner tools, and borrow a piece of cheater-pipe from my dad... I have a feeling it's going to make the rest of this job a lot easier, thank you all again

Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by john_pyro
Thank you all so much, I am going to see if an Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts in my area has one of these tools in their loaner tools, and borrow a piece of cheater-pipe from my dad... I have a feeling it's going to make the rest of this job a lot easier, thank you all again
wear some old padded clothes, when it brakes free you'll go flying

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Bolt... Ugh