General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

is crankshaft hitting valves?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default is crankshaft hitting valves?

I just replaced timing belt, camshaft and timing belt sprockets on my 93 Accord. When I went to turn crankshaft to see if timing marks were still aligned I found I could not move crankshaft more than 30 degrees (or less) I removed belt and tried turning camshaft by itself and found the same problem. I don't remember moving either camshaft or crankshaft before replacing timing belt so I don't know what the problem is.
It seems that pistons and valves would not allow me to turn either way without hitting each other anyway...
I have heard that you can turn crankshaft so all pistons are relatively equal in height so that you could turn camshaft without interference. However I can't even get to that point as I cannot rotate either one without colliding with each other. What could I have done so wrong and what do I do next?

Old 10-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, however, I have a few comments:
  • The crankshaft can never hit the valves; ever. That said, if the timing is off, it is possible for one piston at a time to hit the valves.
  • Just because you didn't move anything after you took the old belt off does not assure you got the new belt on the correct teeth; you need to align the timing marks properly before putting the new belt on (best if you align them before you pull the old one off).
  • Even when the belt is on correctly (i.e. correct timing), there will be some resistance to rotating the engine manually as there is a high percentage of each rotation where one piston is on the compression stroke.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

To follow up, remove the spark plugs eliminate fighting against the compression of the engine.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry guys, I misspoke...I am so stumped. I meant pistons hitting the valves. I had all marks lined up when I installed the belt: pulley mark up, rotor pointing to cylinder 1, top dead center mark on flywheel, rear balance shaft locked. Then I turned the engine, or tried to, but it only moved maybe three teeth on the camshaft in either direction. I removed spark plugs and it was the same. I did not want to push more because I felt I was causing interference if I kept trying to turn. I removed belt and tried to turn camshaft by itself-same result. I thought that maybe if I took the timing belt off I could then turn them independently and start over and line up the marks but its obvious a piston and a valve would collide if I did this, I mean, after all isn't this what happens when the timing belt breaks?
The car was running before I started this project... I only changed belt because I had to change the crankshaft pulley. It was making a horrible sound, and indeed it was bad. I can't understand what happened in the meantime.
The only other thing I can think of is that the crankshaft had so much end play that it damaged the pulley and now it might be hitting something inside, not allowing me to turn anymore?

Old 10-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Did you pull the spark plugs out before you tried to rotate the crank?

Old 10-29-2015, 02:36 PM

Have you tried alternately turning crank then cam to get back to the marks? Double check your flywheel marks.
Also, there may be an extra bolt installed to hold tensioner temporarily, is that in the way?

Old 10-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Locking pin still installed at rear balance shaft??

Old 10-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

All the marks lined up when I installed timing belt. I did remove the spark plugs so that there would be no compression and it's still "hits" The bolt that holds tensioner in place temporarily to remove or install timing belt was not there when I opened cover.
I wish I could turn camshaft! It literally only turns two teeth in either direction before binding or hitting something. I just removed both belts and sprockets and the crankshaft seems to turn more than the camshaft does before a piston hits what i presume is a valve.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Did you replace the timing belt for routine maintenance or because it broke?

I hate to suggest it, but what about a broken valve laying on top of a piston?? See about renting a borescope & have a look in there.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I took the bolt out of the access hole before turning, although the first time I tried turning it the bolt was still in the hole. I've made sure it was removed every time I've reassembled it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is crankshaft hitting valves?