General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Crankshaft pulley bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Default Crankshaft pulley bolt

Hey guys, I'm having trouble removing this bolt. It's a '91 Honda Accord EX, 2.2L 4 cyl.. My last car was a '77 Buick and that's where I gained my mechanical experience over the last ten years. Replacing a harmonic balancer is something I've done before and didn't hesitate to take this one on. I've only found pulley holders online and tried an impact driver,(manual), and got nowhere. I broke down and bought an electric impact wrench; 7 Amp, 230 ft-lbs.; and still it wont budge. I've got an air compressor but dragging it out to the car is going to be a job in itself. It also means I'll have to buy another impact wrench. O'reilly's and Autozone look at me funny when I ask about the SPECIAL tool to hold the pulley. I guess my question is: If the electric impact isn't working and I've used plenty of "Liquid Wrench" is an air impact going to do the trick? And,...will the $39 dollar impact do it, or do I need to buy the gold-plated single bolt remover? My air compressor is a 6 hp/30 gallon if that makes a difference.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Crankshaft pulley bolt

I didn't have the special tool, so I heated mine up red hot w/ a torchand then hit it with the impact, came right out.

www.tasauto.com - has the tool

Old 07-07-2007, 10:53 AM

Those things are a pain in the rear.... did you let the electric impact gun bang away on it for a while? This may sound dumb but was it going the right direction? Put the impact gun on there and just hold the trigger down on it for 30seconds to a minute

Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 PM

Heh heh,...yeah, drove it "Lucy" for a good while,...wrench got hot enough to burn ya'. Had the torch on the bolt for at least 20 minutes and probably longer,(lots o' smoke from excess oil and road grime) and snapped off an impact socket adapter,(1/2 female to 3/8 male), heated it up some more and snapped off the standard socket adapter.[:@]!?! This is about to turn into day five of bustin' nuckles and runnin' around buying tools. Don't tell me this bolt is reverse thread,....not at this point. That would meanI hadbeen tightening this up for three days! I jogged back and forth for awhile thinkin' it might loosen it up, but that didn't work. Appreciate the help though. Good to know it's a common problem and not just my miserable luck.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:32 PM

If the car is still driveable one other option is to take it into a honda dealership, have them put their big impact wrench on it and break the nut loose then tighten it enough to get you back home (usually costs about $20.00 or so...) then you can get home, pop it off and go on about your business.... It's not reverse thread so you're good there...

What are you trying to repair?

Old 07-07-2007, 01:41 PM

Harmonic balancer, and the dealershipmay be an option. I spoke with a mechanic down the street and he said Hondas are like that and impacts don't cut it unless they're major heavy duty,(ecpensive). He recommended holding the pulley still and using a breaker bar and heavy duty sockets. There are two screw holes, one on each side of the face of the pulley and I read somewhere you need a M6x1.0 bolt but it didn't say what for,(I think it was a wiki-article). I got two M6's long enough to screw in and reach the fender well which should hold the pulley still whilst I jump up and down like a fool on this bolt. 'Bout to try that now and if that dont work Ill put it back together and see if it drives,...and hunt down the nearest Honda dealer.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Use a BIG breaker bar and have a hammer handy then you can tap on the bar a little bit to help create some vibration and break it loose...

Old 07-07-2007, 03:19 PM

Hoowee!,...miserable luck it is! The M6 bent like warm pasta and they don't hit the fenderwell at the same time so that was a waste of time. I figured I'd put the belts back on and see how badly it would drive but,...BUT,..... the battery went dead,(gonna let it charge up). I'm gonna have to find a dealership or holder. The holderat "Wholesale Tools Inc." was made for Nissans and Toyotas and looked like the pins were too far apart to fit in the 50mm hole. I may take the new pulley up there and see if it'd work. Once again, nasty and kord,...appreciate the input. I had no idea what I was in for when I started this. I'd say "Who knew!?!" but you guys did. And,just now searching T.A.S. Auto they had no results for a crankshaft pulley holder. "Can't we all just....(get along),agree on a name" It'd be nice if you could go in and ask for a doo-hickey and the guy behind the counter knew exactly what you were talking about. How about a Harmonic Balancer Immobilizer or a Crankshaft Pulley Lockdown Bar? Stupid Holdin' Ignorant Tool would definitely get my vote.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:08 PM

I've got a 99 Accord and just finished dealing with the same issue. Rented a 450 lb electric impact wrench. The only thing I got wasringing in my ears. Took it to a local gas station. They had no luck with their impact wrench. One of the mechanics had the "special tool" in his toolbox. Still in a plastic bag after 2 years. He was happy to put it to use. Took 2 guys to break it free with a breaker bar. Snugged it up for the ride home and all went well from there. $25 for the gas station work! Well worth it!

--Jeff

Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

http://www.secureleadercom.com/exsto...nuStatus=block

Scroll down, left hand side.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft pulley bolt