General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Country Drive - Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:11 AM
PistolPete
Unregistered
Default Cross Country Drive - Front End Noise

I just finished taking my 1990 Honda Accord from upstate New York to Phoenix, Arizona - more than three thousand miles. Thecar now has 208,000 on the odometer but aside from some bad gas had no running issues at all until I literally turned into my destination. While making that turn, at low speed, I noticed significant noise coming from the front end. I haven't taken it highway driving at speed since noticing the noise but at low speed driving around town it makes a noticable clunking noise going over any kind of bump or rough terrain. The noise seems to be entirely independent of engine performance, (rpm, etc), and does not differ when turning or goig over a speed bump at an angle, the clunk is consistent, though always absent on flat smooth pavement. Independent from the noise the car functions exactly the same with no significant differences in turning, acceleration, or any form of performance, it's just a scay thing to listen to, sounds almost like the front end is rattling off. The noise is a deffinent clunk like two heavy medal pieces connecting and I think it may be a strut mount fried by the heat and the intense drive. I was just hoping to get some more expert advice here, because none of the garages in the area will even talk to me for less than $50 up front, and I myself don't have much expertise. If any one herehas past experience or any idea what might be wrong and how to fix it I would greatly appreciate the help, and if there are any general tips about maintaining similar rubber fittings on the car (kept in upstate NY for 18 years) in its new and much hotter location. Thank you.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Cross Country Drive - Front End Noise

This sounds like the horizontal stablizer (anti-sway) bar bushings are worn out. I had similar effect on my 90EX, years ago. It will create a clunking sound when the loose bar strikes the knuckle. Easy fix to replace all the bushings and sway bar guides. Only tricky part I remember is leaving both sides of bar loose at knuckle until all the nuts are fully engaged, then tighten both sides. If you try to complete one side, you won't have enough slack to engage the parts on other side. Note order of parts in the stack of bushings and get a manual from download (see DIY links) or other.

good luck

Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that the swaybar end links should be checked out.
I've tried every way to post a pic or a link to a pic but this website disallows it

Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

http://tinyurl.com/3uwwhs

Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

I hope that this site gets back to working properly.

There are two bushings on the sway bar. The 1st pic shows the bushing. The red tube of the can is pointing to the endlink in the 2nd picture.

Both are pretty simple to replace.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:31 PM

This provided link implies the rotation bushings are the only part that needs replacing. In my case the end link bushings were worn/compressed w/ lots of gaps leading to clunking noise. The depicted end link parts are in good shape. The end link bushings start out symmetrical and wind up looking like triangular wedges w/ one side squeezed/worn almost to zero length.

good luck

Old 08-24-2008, 03:31 PM
PistolPete
Unregistered

thanks for all of the information, I will definetely look at the sway bar bushings. Would it be dangerous to drive around the way it is, with worn swaybar bushings?

Old 08-24-2008, 06:10 PM

I don't think any harm will arise. I drove mine for months before I figured out the problem.

good luck

Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

There are some clunking noises that are NOT good to drive around on. Inspect the sway bar bushings, and if they are loose, then you can relax a bit.

I wouldnt just postpone the repair without knowing. If the noise is actually from the ball joints coming apart, you shouldnt drive the car 100 feet.