General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Doesnt Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Default Cruise Control Doesnt Work

I have found many threads on cruise control but none address my problem exactly as it is.

I press the master cruise control button to enable cruise control, the light on the button comes on.

I get some speed going and I press the set button on the steering wheel, the cruise control light lights up on the dash.

The car begins to decelerate as soon as I lift my foot. So everything SEEMS to work, but just doesn't. Any ideas?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Do your brake lights stay on? Is the switch at the brake pedal is mis-adjusted or broken? That will cancel the cruise as soon as you try to engage it.

Does your speedometer work? If not, maybe your VSS is the problem?

Manual trans? There's a switch at the clutch pedal that cancels the cruise.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If the cruise light stays on after setting, and no acceleration or speed control, then actuator problem seems likely. check all vacuum lines and vacuum supply to the actuator.

good luck

Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Do your brake lights stay on? Is the switch at the brake pedal is mis-adjusted or broken? That will cancel the cruise as soon as you try to engage it.

Does your speedometer work? If not, maybe your VSS is the problem?

Manual trans? There's a switch at the clutch pedal that cancels the cruise.
Brake lights are fine and Im pretty sure that the issue with the switch causes the light on the dash to not come on as well, I could be wrong. Speedometer is fine and its an automatic.

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If the cruise light stays on after setting, and no acceleration or speed control, then actuator problem seems likely. check all vacuum lines and vacuum supply to the actuator.

good luck
This does sound like the likely issue, do you happen to know the location of the actuator? thanks

Old 02-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the behavior of that light when I first answered. Check out the vacuum lines. Check out the cuise cable too (from the actuator to the throttle).

Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM

i'm having this same issue on a 93 ex coupe........do we have a pic of what we should be looking for? or a location.......

thanks!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by aloha_bruddah
i'm having this same issue on a 93 ex coupe........do we have a pic of what we should be looking for? or a location.......

thanks!
Be careful, this issue is fundamentally different from the one where the light DOES NOT come on on the dash.

If your light does come on I will be investigating the issue tonight or tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Actuator should be on passenger side against the firewall. Cable runs from actuator forward and along the length of the valve cover, makes a 180 deg turn to come back to the throttle linkage.

There is a 94-97 Accord Manual for download via Online Manuals links in DIY forum. this has diagnostics and diagrams to check the actuator vacuum and electrical circuits.

good luck

Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Actuator should be on passenger side against the firewall. Cable runs from actuator forward and along the length of the valve cover, makes a 180 deg turn to come back to the throttle linkage.

There is a 94-97 Accord Manual for download via Online Manuals links in DIY forum. this has diagnostics and diagrams to check the actuator vacuum and electrical circuits.

good luck
Correct, I had time to locate the actuator last night, you cant miss it, big cylindrical thing with a cable that goes over the valve cover and back to the throttle linkage, just like you said. It was too cold to try doing anything though (-25 with wind chill), so Ill have to wait until it warms up a little.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:02 PM

ok, i'll look too, it's nice here in california! hahaha.......do you actually replace this actuator or is it a cable??? just asking...

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Doesnt Work