General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Default Cruise control not working

Hi i have a 2000 honda accord ex v6 automatic. A while ago my brake lights would not come on when i pressed the brake. I took it to get it worked on and now my brake lights work but my cruise control does not. The light on the button does not come on, nor does the light on the dash. I have already checked all the fuses. I travel a lot and i need my cc to work. any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

This may not be your issue since the light on the cruise control button doesn't come on, but the brake light switch on the brake pedal is activated and turned off by a rubber "stopper" of sorts that presses into a hole on the brake pedal. Typically these crumble with age and usually fail with the brake lights being on all the time vs. your condition of never coming on. My understanding is that with the automatics, the same switch controls both the brake lights and disengages the cruise control when you "touch" the brake pedal. I wonder if it is improperly adjusted, or if someone left a wire disconnected when changing or adjusting the switch for your original problem.

I believe there is also a fuse dedicated to the cruise function, so it could be a simple blown fuse.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM

The brake lights do not stay on all the time... so i know the stopper is working. And i have check the fuses and none are blown.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to test the switch to be sure you have the proper adjustment. There are two positions to the switch. One will allow the brake lights to be "off" the second will allow the cruise to "work".

Do you have a volt meter? If so we can give you a few simple tests to try.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM

I can get a voltage meter... give me very detailed instruction... thanks for your help

Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

It may just be the brake light switch needs to be adjusted. As noted in this link, "An easy test would be to insert a thin cardboard between the brake pedal and switch to reduce any clearance and test if the cruise control works."

Here is a link to test for continuity for the brake light switch:
1998 Honda Accord Problem Cruise Control Functioning Engine Mechanical 4 Cyl...

Here is a link to test the cruise control switch and cruise control unit:
2000 Honda Accord LX 6cyl. Automatic. Cruise control quit working. - JustAnswer

But, it may just turn out to be that the brake light switch needs to be adjusted.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:17 PM

So my grandfather and i checked the continuity of the switch. in the off position their is continuity between 1 and 2 and when it is on the third is joined. but what i read 4 and 5 should have continuity in the on and off position. i dont have it at all. I also took out the blue and green bulbs to check them and the bulb above the 1, 2, and 3 works fine. But the one above 4 and 5 does not. would this cause the switch to not work at all. thank you for the help

Old 06-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Are you saying you removed the bulbs while performing the continuity test?

I believe the bulbs should be in.

Attached Thumbnails Cruise control not working-2000-accord-cruise-control-switch.jpg   Cruise control not working-2000-accord-cruise-control-switch-test.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM

I took the bulbs out to test to see if they were blown. I put the good bulb in the bad bulbs spot and I had continuity of the 4 and 5. So I think if I replace the bulb it will make everything work

Old 06-28-2012, 01:02 PM

I went today and got the bulb replaced. But my switch will not light up and the cruise will still not work.

Quick Reply: Cruise control not working