General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control and stiff gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Cruise control and stiff gas pedal

1997 Honda Accord. Since I got my F22-->F23 VTEC swap, my cruise control won't engage, and my gas pedal is very stiff. Honestly I have tweaked and replaced most things in my my car, but I don't know anything about the throttle/cable/cruise control aspect. I don't know if they used my F22 throttle or the F23s. I have to press way to hard to accelerate, and my cruise control won't engage. If I try and activate cruise control, I can feel the gas pedal loosen up to the set speed, but it doesn't give it gas. Also, a lot of the times when I'm driving around town, If I hit the gas pedal coming from a turn at 10-15mph, the car will rev up to like 4,000rpms and then I have to let go of the gas pedal and retry to keep going. Anyone that can give me some advice here? lol.

Name:  IMG044.jpg
Views: 2544
Size:  115.8 KB
Name:  IMG045.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  99.3 KB

Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Anyone? I know Roader did this same swap. I think they used my F22 throttle but idk.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Nothing.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

"Looks" like the F23 bracket. Just me but the angle doesn't look right.....also appears to be some slack in the cruise cable.....but again I have not done this swap.

For the trans, check the fluid level and condition. Also inspect the throttle control cable - going to the trans, in your first pic the cable off to the left - for proper adjustment and movement

Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Im having some what of the same problem, The cable on the first picture that is going to the left, like previously mentioned, comes from your tranny, theres a problem with the tranny most likely, does your throttle seem easier with the car off?

if not, disconnect the transmission cable from the intake, and start the car and then check for easier movement of throttle. that should work, if not, then you probable have cables routed wrong? maybe not in the original possition? can you move throttle freely with your hand?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ofcourse you cannot drive the car without the cable hooked back up, but just to run a check it is safe to disconnect the cable..

Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Well I know for a fact there's not anything wrong with the tranny itself because I didn't have these problems before this swap. I did hear about adjusting the throttle control cable, is there a thread on how to do it?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Talking

I never had this problem either until putting in my new engine, although mine is not constant it was happening because of the transmission...

are you able to tell a difference whether or not the throttle moves better if the cars running or not?

the bottom cable in your photographs above it looks like it's an older cable or possibly a swap, it looks like there's rust on it and it is extremely loose but I don't think that would have anything to do with the stiff throttle...l but I could see it being a problem with the cruise control...

first things first check to see if your throttle moves freely with the car not running

second thing if it does not move freely disconnect 1 by 1 all the throttle cables until it does move freely...

if you get down 2 no throttle cables then you probably have a sticky throttle body

as far as a justing the cruise control cable is very simple process you can probably find a video on YouTube.

did you do the swap yourself? I recently swapped out an F 22 B 1 to another F 22 B 1 engine.. and low and behold I had the same problem except for with the cruise control I d the stiff throttle..

there could be no problem at all with your transmission yet still a sticky throttle cable coming from the transmission., I would check that there's no obstructions within the route of the throttle cable like no pinching, could something have compromised the integrity of the throttle cable?

for example did the engine hit the throttle cable and like putting crease in it or anything

it's just a trial and error bro, you'll figure it out soon enough and when you do your going to smack yourself and say damn it why didn't I think of that first lol

my car had no problems whatsoever in so I've replaced it with a new engine, and now the problems are coming left in right

when my car gets up to temp now it starts bogging down like it's running outta gas until I put it in neutral then it runs just fine, or if its real cold outside it runs like a raped ape but right now s*** because it's been hot here in Florida...

you'll have to excuse my punctuation proper grammar I'm telling my smart phone what to type, it's not so smart!.

but yes the first thing in your check is whether not the throttle works correctly with out the cables connected slowly 1 by 1 disconnect cable to test the throttle I would start there... plus did they use the original intake from the first engine or did they swap out a new intake?...

good luck keep us posted!