General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise not fucntioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default cruise not fucntioning

I have a 1992 honda accord coupe ex 2.2l MT in which the cruise isnt functioning. I have had the car for 4 months and it hasnt ever functioned

while i have had it. I have eliminated a few things so far. It isnt a vacuum leak nor is it the servo. Though it could be device that controls the servo.

The symptons are this. I turn on the cruise control and green light comes on. Then i press set and the green light on dash comes on but nothing

happens. I am assuming it is a speed sensor or a switch. Also another sympton of my car is that the abs dont work. The yellow abs light comes on

after i drive it for about 50 to 100 yards. It wont come on when i first start. Only until i drive it for that distance so maybe the two are linked.

Maybe cruise uses a speed sensor the abs uses also. Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 PM

I'd bet your wheel speed sensing units have malfunctioned on one or multiple wheels, this can cause an ABS malfunction light. This could also affect the cruise control.

If the vacuum, cable and electronics are working to the cruise control then I'd look into the speed sensor. I know that on the 6th gen the speed sensor for the cruise control is in the transmission.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

any ideal on how i test it. I am guessing the front wheel speed sensor control the speedometer. My speedometer is working fine.So it must be the back.Right? Does each wheel have a speed sensor or is it just two. One for front and one for back.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:28 PM

I'm not sure I have never had to do this before. I'm assuming that you could check the power to each sensor with wire testing probes and a multimeter. But like I said IDK if your cruise control even gets the speed from the wheel sensors... My 6 gen uses a sensor in the transmission.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Does your check engine light or D4 or S light turn on while driving?

I would suggest for you to check the code(s). In the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to checking engine codes. The check engine light flashes engine codes, the D4 or S light flashes transmission codes, and the abs light flashes abs codes.

Let us know which light flashes codes.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

no my check engine light doesnt come on and one thing i forgot to add was that my speedometer works fine

Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Check the switch on the clutch pedal - lower one....is it closed when the pedal is at "rest/not being pushed"?

Get the codes for the abs - see the common DIY threads at the top of this section for a how to....it isn't only for the CEL but the abs and tcu as well.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yes the clutch switch i ahve checked. it is closed. ill get teh codes adn post back

Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

The abs sensors should have nothing to do with the cruise control.

Check the fuse for the cruise control. I believe that it is in the fuse box under the driver's dash.

Also under the driver's dash is the cruise control unit. It should have 13 wires going to it. I don't have a good shop manual for this generation accord, so you may want to check the wiring. I put a pic of the electrical connector below. If the wires and/or the wire colors match up, I'll post the tests you can do.

The cruise control unit is the metal box at 2min 30seconds that the video incorrectly identifies as a box for power steering.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i have looked all over diy and i cant find the process for checking the codes for the abs and where it is located at. I found something on youtube that seems to say it is behind glove box which i did see a connector back there. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Quick Reply: cruise not fucntioning