General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Joint clicking

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Default CV Joint clicking

Hey all, what's up? Been a while since I've last posted. I'm having a clicking noise come from the front right of my car when I turn, and I wanna say it's the CV joint. What do you think? If it's the joint, do I have to replace the entire front right axle and CV boot? If that's the case, are there any tutorials on how to replace it? Much help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: CV Joint clicking

Look through the FAQ library for DiY help. Use Finch13's search engine to search this site. Use google for search of www. Lot's of info out there.

Finally, download one of the 94-97 manuals from Online Manuals FAQ links.

Following is an outline:

1) Remove wheel axle cap or hubcap, and break axle nut loose. You will need a large 32-36mm socket, breaker bar, and perhaps a cheater pipe to gain enough torque. A good quality (500 ft-lbs) air impact will also work.

2) Jack up car and remove wheel.

3) Release and separate the tie rod and lower ball joints of the wheel. Release knuckle from strut lower end fork, remove fork.

4) Use rubber or brass hammer and tap axle shaft from wheel hub and swing wheel knuckle outward to release axle from wheel hub. If axle is frozen in hub do not hit hard and damage end of axle or you'll have a worse problem. Go to autozone and rent their front axle bearing removal tool. You can use it to press theaxle from the hub.

5) Once axle is released, use a prybar behind the inner axle housing to pry it out of differential.

6) Suggest purchasing a good used axle. I have no faith in the aftermarket rebuilts. Far too many are simply bad axles w/ new boots. Even w/ a warranty they are no bargain, as you are responsible for labor to replace. check car-part.com for a part near you, and inspect before purchase.

7) Clean axle splines and snap ring on inner axle end. Manuals recommend to replace, but I've found that tolerances can be so tight that a new ring may not engage. If old ring is undamaged, you may want to reuse. Personal choice.

8) installation is reverse of removal.

good luck.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks. I'll do that when I get a chance.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Almost A Senior Member

My 97 Accord has started doing the same. When driving straight no problem, but when accelerating from a stop into a turn I hear that clicking noise also.

Does anyone know how serious of a problem this is and how long you can go before getting it fixed.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Its a serious problem,and most people ignore it for a long period of time..I am guilty..Its usually the outer shaft(closest to the wheel) that wears out the most.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM

Does anyone know how serious of a problem this is and how long you can go before getting it fixed.
i let mine go for 6 months in a 91 camry, one day i took a sharp turn and the shaft came apart on the outer joint. If you don't take sharp turns you can dramatically increase cv shaft life.

i would recommend replacing both CV shafts at the same time since they usually fail right after each other