General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Joint clunking when cold (7th Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default CV Joint clunking when cold (7th Gen)

It's been real cold here lately (sub zero to single digits at night). I noticed the other day backing out of my driveway there was a "clunk clunk clunk ..." sound when I turned the wheel to right. I wrote it off to snow or ice in the wheel well but then noticed it again when doing the cold start in the morning. I have confirmed it's not snow or ice. After the car has been driven for just a minute everything is fine. I am assuming it's a CV joint? The car is a 2005 EX 4CYL/AT and has 123,000 miles on it. If it's only doing it when cold could it be "normal" for an older joint just beginning on it's way out? I know I need to get under and inspect it.

I looked at the Honda Tech manual and it looks like something I would be willing to try if need be. New Cardone axles from Rock Auto seem to have pretty good reviews. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by jafriede
... Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Patience ... don't get in a sweat, you have time. CV joints are strong parts. Wait for warm weather.

I drove a Nissan for 10 - 20,000 miles with the CV clicking getting worse all the time.
Then replaced it when I was just plain embarrassed by the parking lot attention drawn by the noise.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by UhOh
Patience ... don't get in a sweat, you have time. CV joints are strong parts. Wait for warm weather.

I drove a Nissan for 10 - 20,000 miles with the CV clicking getting worse all the time.
Then replaced it when I was just plain embarrassed by the parking lot attention drawn by the noise.
I sure hope so. It sure would be nice to put it off until March or so. I guess the car will let me know.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have never heard a CV clunk only click. Are the boots leaking grease?

Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Sounds like more of a suspension or steering linkage issue to me. Check the ball joints, end links, bushings etc.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
I have never heard a CV clunk only click. Are the boots leaking grease?
I have some new information. I thought that was odd too but it only did it when accelerating around a corner or backing up so I *assumed* it was a CV axle. I was out of town for a couple days but this afternoon I got the whole front end up on jack stands and removed the wheels. I rotated the axles by hand and found no cracks in the boots or evidence of grease splatter anywhere. There is VERY SLIGHT play inboard-outboard on both and a little play up and down on both. I am not experienced enough to know the limits of what is normal but it seemed reasonable to me.

Now here's the interesting part.... I had my son wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and heard a clunking sound. It seemed to be coming from the passenger side tie rod end since I could "feel" the clunk in the tie rod. I lifted up on the boot and could see a little bead of grease where the boot meets the steering knuckle. I checked the driver's side tie rod end and it has a smaller amount of grease showing too but is not making any noise. Wiggling the tie rod by hand would not reproduce the clunk. Is it possible for the tie rod end to make a rhythmic clunking sound going around corners? The questionable tie rod is on the right side while the clunking sound while turning seems to be on the left. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Last edited by jafriede; 12-16-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: clarified a few things
Old 12-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Tierod boots do wear out. They begin to leak grease at the creases of the boot.

There should be no play in the tie-rod ball jt when you push/pull the knuckle.

good luck

Old 12-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Was the key turned on? (unlocking the steering?)
When the wheels are off the ground, you'll hear clunking that is simply from the few degrees that the steering can move while it's locked. Can you rule that out as the noise?

If that's not it, then you can have your son rock the steering back & forth while you put your hand over any part that moves. You're looking to identify which joint has the looseness to cause the sound.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Was the key turned on? (unlocking the steering?)
When the wheels are off the ground, you'll hear clunking that is simply from the few degrees that the steering can move while it's locked. Can you rule that out as the noise?

If that's not it, then you can have your son rock the steering back & forth while you put your hand over any part that moves. You're looking to identify which joint has the looseness to cause the sound.
Yes, the steering wheel was unlocked. I could feel the clunk in the tie rod but couldn't actually see any play but do see grease between the tie rod end boot and steering knuckle. Is it possible the clunk is from the inner tie rod which is hidden under a boot?
I think I must have two issues. The noise going around corners is definitely on the driver's side (opposite the "bad" tie rod). I think I may break down and take it to a shop after the holidays to get it looked at. Nothing looks as if it's going to fall apart in the next couple weeks. I will update when i know something.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Yes, there is an inner tie-rod ball jt that can wear out. It will produce steering slack similar to a worn outer tie-rod ball jt.

good luck

Quick Reply: CV Joint clunking when cold (7th Gen)