General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Rena
Unregistered
Default cylinder misfire

hi there
2000 Honda Accord V6.
engine emmision control light is on, 3rd garage to look at it since 2005. mysteriously the code changes from the time they pull it into the shop to the time it is ready for pickup. Honda stopped returning my calls. Switching fuels to higher grade seemed to fix it for awhile. The codes recorded are P0301, 302, 303, 304 and sometimes P0305, 306, P300 and P1705.
they have tried complete fuel flushes, new spark plugs, new EGR, checked the coils, new #4 injector recently and now going to try adjusting the valves. it ran well for 9 months after the new EGR, sometimes it has cleared it self up about the 3rd tank of gas but not this time.
Any ideas? anyone else have own such a princess?
i did just put a new fuel cap on, fingers crossed that it will be that easy.
Thanks
Rena

Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: cylinder misfire

Do you detect the engine missing or is engine running smooth all the time. The codes are for multiple cylinders (1-6) engine misses. If you're not missing, something is "fooling" the system; damaged or loose mounted crank speed sensor.

good luck

Old 09-30-2008, 09:44 PM

two things are very common on this engine for misfire codes(all the p03xx codes):

egr- the egr port MUST be cleaned or you will have random misfire codes. if it's not cleaned and a new egr is put on carbon my flake off and keep the egr stuck open intermittently.clean that port properly!

fuel vapor lock- this only affects the 2000 V6 - this occurs when the gas stations switch to winter blend fuel and it's unseasonably warm outside(50F is all it takes). if the engine runs rough/starts hard and clears itself after a few minutes or so this may be occuring. honda sells an updated pcm and matching fuel pressure regular to fix this. it's expensive so i'd suggest having it properly diagnosed. bring it to me in chicago, lol

p1705 is for the transmission range switch circuit. this can be a bad range switch among other things, may need diag to confirm.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

FYI - mine died with 2 tranny codes and multiple P03xx codes. I hope that your tranny's not dead too for your sake.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

egr- the egr port MUST be cleaned or you will have random misfire codes. if it's not cleaned and a new egr is put on carbon my flake off and keep the egr stuck open intermittently.clean that port properly!
if egr ports are plugged he would get a code p0401 for poor egr flow ..

Old 10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Rena
Unregistered

Thanks for your help.

The engine is definately missing. Now after the #4 injector replaced,on the highway if i am able to keepat 110km (66mph), the dash light willstay onsteady and it seems to run okay in 4th (automatic transmission) but if i am unable to maintain that speed, slower, faster or uphill, car noticeably misses and the light will begin to flash, putting it into 3rd seems to stop the pulsing and light will go to steady. 2nd gear from stand still, the acceleration is alarge nothing then will go.
This issue has always showed up after refueling, we have also tried using injector cleaner for a couple of tanks, then a tank with octane, then Lucus fuel conditioner and a tank of gas line antifreeze.Has done it in the fall, summer and winter.
i called the shop after reading your posts and he said the very last codes, after #4 injector, were PO302,303,304,305,300.
They are going to discuss the possibilities you've mentioned. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM

No problems with high rpms??? - - - > Fuel pump not pumping to necessary capacity?

To me, dead ECU seems likely.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:58 PM

i have been having the same problems with this but its always after i run the car really hard for a while then shut it off and let it sit... for more then a min. i start it... i does its little idle up to like 1700 then starts down like always then dies. i have to hold the accelerator to about 2000 rpms or better it works its self out in a min or so... no problems with it other than that. what do ya all think?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Default 2000 honda accord 3L v6 misfire all cyls

Hi guy,

Well I've been having a problem with my car for about 6 months now but only recently it has gotten more serious and now happens everyday. First of all I have a 2000 honda accord coupe v6, and the problem is after being driven for awhile and parked for about 10-20 mins and I go to try and start it again it will start, but then quickly after it will try to idle at low rpms and act as tho it is having a misfire but doesn't present any check engine light codes, then stalls out. When this happens I noticed the only way to get it running normal again is to to hold down the gas for 2 or 3 min then it will drive and idle normally. This only happens after I have driven for awhile then parked it for a short amount of time, otherwise it starts normally and drives fine. I've been looking on the forums and to me it sounds like a fuel issue, maybe with the main fuel relay, but before I replace anything I'd like to get your guys opinions on this, what do you guys think it is?

Thanks for the help

Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe a fuel injector leaking slowly?

Here's what happens:
You shut off the car, and the fuel system is still pressurized. Fuel leaks through 1 (or more) injectors and makes a pudde in the intake manifold. If you wait long enough it evaporates then starts OK.

Try a can of Techron or your favorite fuel-injection cleaner in the fuel tank.