General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cylinders 2, 3 help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Default cylinders 2, 3 help.

Hello forum members, I'am new to the forum. Just got done replacing timing belt, water pump on a 2000 Honda accord LX v6. I followed the haynes manual per instruction when lining up the front and rear cams, and also the crank pulley. Put everything back together. Car starts and idles rough. So thats went ahead and did the power balance test from ericthecarguy. This car is equipped with Coil on Plugs. So i start with the 3 front cylinders which is 4,5,6. all responsive to bogging idle when I disconnected the coil connectors. Started on the back 3 cylinders, 1,2,3. Cylinder 2 and 3 are unresponsive when I disconnected the coil connectors. Any idea if its two bad coil pack? or spark plug? Also the check engine light is flashing as the car was idling. I'm pretty sure it was due to the fact that those two cylinders are not working. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Did it run like that before you did the belt? Did you rotate the engine by hand twice before you started it to make sure everything was ok? Before I go and buy coil packs just move the bad ones to a go cylinder and good ones to the bad cylinder and if the problems moves with the coils if not you know what the problems is now right time to pull the head off

Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 AM

No it didn't run like that before but prior to that, the alternator bracket broke and belts got stuck into the lower timing belt area, between the crank pulley and timing belt. It also melted the timing belt cover. Before belts was taken off, At TDC both front and rear cams didnt line up. So when we replaced the timing belt. We lined up the cams individual to align with the back cover of the timing sprocket and groove with the white paint facing up right. SO this morning the car, we move the coil pack around and the problem didnt move around the cylinders. Also swapped out spark plug. Nothing. The same #2,3 cylinders is still the problem. What excatly do I need to do if I pull off the head?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

How far off was the cam sprocket (approx. how many teeth) when everything else was at TDC?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 AM

The front cam was about 4-6 teeth off to the right of the marking and the back cam was off by 4-6 teeth not sure if it was to the left or right of the markings when the crank was at TDC before we adjusted the cams individually. After adjusting cams individually to line up with markings we put the timing belt and tensioner back on and rotated it counter clockwise 2 full turns back to TDC and everything still lined up.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

When you were checking the timing marks, was the arrow stamped on the cam sprocket pointed up?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM

where is this arrow located? or is it a 4 that looks like half an arrow pointing up? All i saw was the white paint dot on the number 1 cam sprocket, and lined the front cams according to the white paint being up right with the sprocket hash lined up with the back cam wall.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

I am not familiar with the V6 setup on how to line up the cam sprocket. I was just wondering if you had the cam lined up 180 out of time.

I'm trying to figure out if the valves on 2 and 3 are damaged.

You probably want to do a compression test next.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 PM

Compression testing is what I plan on doing tomorrow morning/afternoon. Will post up the results.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM

Well i searched around and found this. This is excatly how my came sprocket were lined up. Puts me more at ease since I guess I did get the cam sprocket and crank pully marks correct.

2000 Honda Accord: timing belt..5 marks on the front cam shaft pulley - JustAnswer

But I still plan on doing the compression test tomorrow.

Quick Reply: cylinders 2, 3 help.