General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 flashing after distributor o-ring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Default D4 flashing after distributor o-ring replacement

Here is my observation after the o-ring replaced and a quick engine wash, I start car after an hour then it idle normal and look closely to engine if everything is fine, then I close the hood go inside for a quick turn, everything fine (no flashing CEL/D4 on the dash) until I reach the stop light so I put the tranny to N which I normally do when traffic, I was surprise when the D4 start blinking, so I put it back to D4 with the break depress, it kick hard! it run ok though but I think she skip the first gear because it slow to accelerate from a stop, we got home safe anyway. I turn it off quickly and remove battery cable thinking everything will be back alright after reset. So I start the car, no flashing , put the stick from P to R (no problem) then to N, then to D4 (release the break with the e-brake engage of course) then i shift to D3 the D4 start flashing, , I turn off the engine again and restart the car (no flashing again) now I notice when it shifted from D4 it will start flashing. I inspect all the connectors, remove distributor cap, little oil residue inside but seems ok, then I wanted to jump the SCS service connector but cannot find the two wires under passenger dash? This is another question, where it is located in my model accord?

I went to office today with D4 all stretch everything normal. Will appreciate your advice on what should be the possible cause of this.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by darkgreen18290; 10-21-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:22 AM
Almost A Senior Member

D4 light flashing should mean transmission codes are stored right? Have you pulled them yet?

Honda Automatic Transmission

The hard part is finding the data connector. Then just stick a metal paper clip in (each end into one of the two pin ports) to jump it. Turn the key to on, check the number of blinks. Short blink = 1, long blink = 10. Add them up and look up the code.

How vigorously did you "wash the engine"? Have you checked the transmission fluid? I vaguely remember someone saying there's a ventilation tube that comes out of the top of the transmission, maybe you got water in there if you pressure washed it? Probably not, but to my knowledge the transmission is on the distributor side of the '95 Accord, not sure on which side it is on the '99. The transmission solenoid is on top of the transmission as well, although I don't think water would have damaged it. Have you looked around for any wet areas? Maybe an electrical connector is wet?

I recall reading a story where someone had a flashing D4 light that was diagnosed as transmission failure by I believe two-three trans. shops. He went to a fourth shop that found a disconnected cable, plugged it in and the flashing stopped. Maybe one of the connectors is wet and shorting out? More experienced people may know if this is possible and where any transmission related connectors would be.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by MessAround
D4 light flashing should mean transmission codes are stored right? Have you pulled them yet?
didnt able to find the data connector, can i do it on the 16 pin? i think i saw mine has the 16 pin data connector. i read som article that mentioned to jump the number 8 and 13, is this right?

How vigorously did you "wash the engine"? Have you checked the transmission fluid? I vaguely remember someone saying there's a ventilation tube that comes out of the top of the transmission, maybe you got water in there if you pressure washed it? Probably not, but to my knowledge the transmission is on the distributor side of the '95 Accord, not sure on which side it is on the '99. The transmission solenoid is on top of the transmission as well, although I don't think water would have damaged it. Have you looked around for any wet areas? Maybe an electrical connector is wet?
didn't used any pressurize hose. i just pour water with detergent from a bucket after i spray a can of engine de-grease, then top water to wash off the detergent.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

go to autozone or other and get them to read obd2 scan codes. Post back the entire code (Pnnnn) for help.

don't try jumping pins unless you have a wiring diagram w/ your obd2 socket and are sure you know which pins to jump. Much simpler to get obd2 codes.

good luck

Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think "dark" is in the US or Mexico so autozone is out.

I would get the code and see what is says. Again this could be some water got into one of the connectors. It may go away once the water dries out???

Old 10-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Honda Automatic Transmission

The hard part is finding the data connector. Then just stick a metal paper clip in (each end into one of the two pin ports) to jump it. Turn the key to on, check the number of blinks. Short blink = 1, long blink = 10. Add them up and look up the code.
On the OP's model year, this does not apply.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

There are 2 pins you can jumper in the OBD-2 connector. Trouble is, I don't remember which 2 pins, so I can't say whether darkgreen listed the proper pins. There ARE some pins that you have to stay away from; you can create a non-fused short-circuit through the ECU and damage it.

And, since OBD-2 is a US-EPA thing, I don't know whether the pinouts on that connector are the same everywhere in the world.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
I would get the code and see what is says. Again this could be some water got into one of the connectors. It may go away once the water dries out???
poorman is correct, i was thinking the same about the connectors being wet, that's why i stop by to a nearby carwash station and borrowed the compressed air and blow the entire engine and then focus on the wire connectors (the one in distributor and the top solenoid)
seems shes back to normal... will follow up this post if the problem return otherwise my sincere thanks for all your advises. you guys are amazing!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Keep us informed. Note the code will store so, if at some point in the future you have it scanned you might find a "trans code" of some sorts. Remember that "this" happened.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Keep us informed. Note the code will store so, if at some point in the future you have it scanned you might find a "trans code" of some sorts. Remember that "this" happened.
noted w/ thanks... but how can i erase stored code? can i do it w/out scanner tool?

Quick Reply: D4 flashing after distributor o-ring replacement