General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 light blinking and no 2nd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Default D4 light blinking and no 2nd gear?

Hey everyone, i'm new here... Have a problem with my 95 Accord EX.

The D4 light blinks on the gauge cluster, and it doesn't seem like the car has 2nd gear at all. It shifts fine but it's like it's skipping 2nd altogether. Trying to shift the car manually doesn't seem to help at all. The tranny fluid and filter are in good shape as well.

I talked to one of the service guys at the local Honda garage and he seems to think it might be the TCM. But says there really isn't any way to test and see if it's bad. Anyone have any ideas? Heard of the TCM's going bad on these cars? He said it they didn't usually go bad in these year Accords so I don't just want to start throwing money at the car.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Supper Moderator

I bet its NOT the TCM. it's prob. your shift or tq. syniloid. Always check your codes 1st so you dont start messin with things that arent the prob. Check your codes and get back with us.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:47 PM

The guy I talked to said it prob wasn't the tcm as well. Something about them going bad in the earlier model accords. Dumb question, am I gonna have to put it on a computer to get the codes? I didn't think it would set one since its not an obdII car

Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

The 95 4 cylinder was OBDI. The V6 was OBDII.

Copy and paste this into your browser for a good set of instructions with pics. This will work on the I4 for sure. I think the V6 has this connector as well.

dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

All you need is a thin paperclip or a piece of wire to short the blue two-pin connector under the glove box. Count the D4 light flashes for the transmission code(s). The check engine light flashes the engine computer codes.

Post any codes you find on here.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Well, I got the code just now. The D4 light blinked 7 short times. The website says thats the throttle position sensor... Sound about right?

At least im pretty certain they were short blinks. Well under a second a blink

Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Those numbers listed are for the check engine light (ECU)codes. There is a different set of codes for the D4 light transmission (TCU) codes.

A TCU code 7 is the a problem with the shift solenoid A valve or the wiring.

Make sure that the connection is tight. If you apply 12V to the blu/yel wire of the solenoid, you should hear a click. There is a screen on the solenoid that can get clogged up, so you may want to remove the solenoid, clean the screen and the solenoids with some throttle body cleaner.

It will be helpful for you to download the 94 shop manual from the spooner link I posted in the Online Manuals thread in the main DIY section. That is a pdf that will have a ton of information on how to test and repair your accord.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Supper Moderator

TCU Codes:

1-Lock-up solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
2-Lock-up solenoid 'B' circuit open or shorted.
3-Throttle Position Sensor circuit open or shorted.
4-Vehicle Speed Sensor open or shorted - No signal from speedometer.
5-Shift Lever Position Switch circuit shorted.
6-Shift Lever Position Switch circuit open.
7-Shift Solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
8-Shift Solenoid 'B' circuit open or shorted.
9-Counter shaft or transmission speed pulse generator open or shorted.
10-Coolant Temperature Sensor open or shorted.
11-Engine RPM (Ignition coil signal) open or shorted.
12-(No code 12 used)
13-Main shaft speed pulse generator open or shorted.
14-Linear (line pressure control) solenoid open or shorted.
15-Kick down switch circuit shorted.

Very common on our trannys. Try cleaning it 1st and if still have prob.s your gonna need a new one. If you try to buy one from honda they are a retarded price like $250 or something. So Id say go to a pick and pull and just gank like 10 of them and try them all.

Last edited by g22cd5; 07-13-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:43 PM

I have the same problem, I am new to this, How do I know for sure whats wrong with it, so I can try to find the TCU if thats whats wrong. I hope it is!

Old 08-04-2010, 02:33 PM

Just wanted to update the thread and let you guys I know I got it fixed. After seeing I was gonna pay $200 at the dealership I got both sets of solenoids for $50 off ebay and the car is shifting great! Thanks guys

Old 08-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Supper Moderator

good deal! glad you got it fix...you tranny will be good to go for a while now

Quick Reply: D4 light blinking and no 2nd gear?