General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 Light Won't Stop Blinking

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 AM
hcg
Unregistered
Default RE: D4 Light Won't Stop Blinking

Tested the solenoids and they work well. Disconnected the connector to the speed sensor which was kind of looseand checked the voltagescoming from the connector to the speed sensor and think I found a problem.. The ground and live are okay giving 12 V but the orange wire that should deliver spurts of 0 and 5 volts supplied by the speed sensor gives me a reading of 5 volts althought the connector not even connected to the speed sensor, is this okay or is there an electrical problem? I guess it might be okay due to electrical induction from the 12V live wire or since the speed sensor is not connected so not doing ground and voltage coming from speedo or something, does anyone know?

Old 12-24-2007, 10:00 AM
95Gee20Tee
Unregistered
Default RE: D4 Light Won't Stop Blinking 7 flashes

I've been searching the forum and this appears to be the best location for posting my similar problem
Car: 94 Accord LX automatic, low mileage engine but original tranny with 278k with issues, bought since I have a leftover Ody tranny from my low mileage powertrain JDM swap.
Problem: Initial: no reverse and only forward movement with slipping, overfilled atf fluid and very dark, SEVEN flashes of the D4 light with the service connector shorted
Work: used troubleshooting chart, located a disconnect between TCM and shift control solenoid - ran new wire, fixed, measures good now at the TCM connector, still has 7 flashes, further testing, swapped shift control solenoid from good used tranny - no fix, drained and topped off ATF to proper level - no fix though it seems improved

Further work: removed ATF cooler lines and completed pumped out bad ATF, filled with two gallons (approx. of pumped out amount) of ATF and Seafoam ATF treatment (cleaner) - more improvement, partial use of reverse and less slippage of forward gear(s), drained and topped ATF 3 more times, each time had much metal flakes on magnetic drain plug (initially THUMB size amount, now just a coating each time), improvement each time minimal, if at all. Reverse only after short warmup but not working after thorough warm-up. Forward gear still slipping and appears to be 2nd gear only - a shift into 3rd at speed seems to go straight to slipping (free reving without speed change).

Latest work: Still flashing 7 times. Since the ATF drain/fill's (with BG additive initially, then Lucas ATF and some synthetic ATF) do not seem to be improving and the only other "option" is the TCM, bought on eBay a TCM and swapped, SAME ISSUE - NO DIFFERENCE.

Questions: I would swap the tranny without second guess but the troubleshooting keeps pointing to parts I have swapped - Shift control solenoid and TCM. THe code does not ever point to the tranny itself. Anyone know enough to confidently say the tranny swap is going to work with this code? Perhaps ANOTHER wire is broken since I found one and there appears another "fix" installed by the previous owner, but the troubleshooting does not point me in the direction to look.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 AM
98accordak
Unregistered
Default RE: D4 Light Won't Stop Blinking

I have a 98 Accord LX withg 157K miles. I was driving down the road yesterday, and hit a metal cylinder, in a brown box layingin the middle of the freeway (I could not swerve outof the way)about the size of a breadbox. It went underneath the car and I was driving 65+ on the freeway. I slowed to a stop and removed the cylinder. Now, when I push in the gas, it is slow to accelerate (this is only in D4 and D3). 1 and 2 accelerate fine.

Today, I was driving to work and the speedometer went to 0 and the RPM's went to 0.

Any suggestions on what this could be??!?! ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, and watch out for debris on the freway

Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 AM
ob95accord
Unregistered
Default D4 light and speedometer

My transmission seems fine, it sifts gears normally but as soon as I start driving the D4 light starts flashing. The first time it happened, I shut my car off and turned it back on and then my speedometer stopped working. the odometer isn't registering either and my check engine light is always on. Is this just something ****ed up on the wiring of my dash or is there really something wrong with my engine you think?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ob95accord
My transmission seems fine, it sifts gears normally but as soon as I start driving the D4 light starts flashing. The first time it happened, I shut my car off and turned it back on and then my speedometer stopped working. the odometer isn't registering either and my check engine light is always on. Is this just something ****ed up on the wiring of my dash or is there really something wrong with my engine you think?
same thing just happened to my on my 95 single cam vtech accord(automatic). except when i got off the highway and stopped at a light the car started bogging and felt like it was going to stall when it was driving in first gear. i pulled over shut it off then my speedometer went nuts the rest of the night(jumping from 0 to 80) before finally shutting off. the D4 started blinking at this time also but only starts after hitting 3rd or 4th gear now. and my check engine light comes on after driving for few miles but sometimes will go back off. was thinking it is a bad engine ground but im about to check the code its throwing today. the car seems to be driving fine though except for the couple of times it was bogging out but it hasnt done it since.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Three weeks ago my speedometer stoped working and the green square around the D letter begin flashing. Twice the check engine light has come on but he car seems to be driving fine. It's an automatic. As I read I see to try to count the blinks for a code which I will soon. The car shifts fine and drives good will something bad happen and how do i count the blinks. Thanks I love my car of 247000 miles as i have put half on it myself.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Supper Moderator

ONLY USE HONDA ATF. That’s why your trans and failing

Old 08-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Default D4 green light blinking

Hi, I posted about my problems before but still haven't solved the problem. It is a '93 accord, F.I., automatic. When the light is flashing the car will not start. It seems as if there is no fuel going to the engine. If I wait until it stops blinking the car will start and run fine. I counted the number of blinks on the D4. This is what I got. 2s,7s,8s,1l,4s,1s (s=short,l=long) can anyone decipher this for me? I read the numbers several times to make sure it was correct. I also changed the two solonids down by the trans dipstick with no change!
Thanks, don

Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM

how did u fix it ?

Old 10-19-2021, 01:41 PM
Default Same issue help

Originally Posted by PhilipK
I have a 1993 Honda Accord SE and I just put a low milage JDM transmission in it. I did the swap perfect, nothing left over everything plugged in. I connected the service plug together with a wire and the D4 light still just blinks. The transmission level is perfect. I hear a slight high pitched sound coming from the engine bay, but not loud enough to hear inside the car. When I took it for a drive is is very sluggish through the gears. Do you guys think that may have to do with the speed sensor? I did not un-plug the fluid from it, just pulled it out and stuck it back in. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you, Philip.

I have the same issue I did a tranny swap on my accord everything was working fine for about a year and now I’m having my speed sensor act up and my D4 started blinking . I went ahead and did some research which let me to change the speed sensor . It was fine for a few days now my car turned off and my D4 light is back on. Now my car turned off on me on the road and won’t turn back on.