General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Lights PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Dash Lights PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance to everyone I have a 2000 Honda Accord SE and for some reason when I turn on my parking lights/or head lights, all of my dash lights go out speedometer, clock, heat/cooling lights including P, R, N, D etc on shift console. Anyone have any idea what this could be?!?! Please help

Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 AM

I have a 2001 Accord and my dash went out as well but the lights u say went are on in my car, lol. I have read some forums that say its the multiplex control box or the dimmer switch but some say it still doesnt solve the problem. I am trying to find the same answer as well and dont want to waste money. Really hate to take it to dealership and let them look at it but maybe the best option. I have a post on here a couple hours ago about the problem and no answers yet.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Most often the guys here will try to help you check out where the problem is. Just 'cause someone else's multiplexer caused the problem, doesn't mean YOUR car has the same reason for the lights out. His could be multiplexer, yours could be blown fuse, the next guy could be broken ground-wire... etc.

I don't have circuit drawings for 2000/2001 but I think there's a repair manual linked from the "on-line-manuals" post in the DIY section.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks! I am going to check out that manual now.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Lights Jim reply

Jim, I have checked all the fuses in the sides of the dash all are good, the dimmer doesnt do anything all the way turned up or all the way turned down. Before the lights actually went when i turned my dimmer down just the slightest bit my dash lights would flicker, but i dont know how thats related to when i turn on my lights the dash clock etc go out. Is there other fuses somewhere i could check?? Thanks for your time

Old 11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Check for the shop manual I mentioned...

Also check the fusebox in the engine compartment?

The flickering when you move the dimmer suggests the dimmer itself is at fault. There's probably a procedure for checking that out. Got a multi-meter?

There's people here with 2000-2002 Accords who are good with electrical checks. Hope they chime in. I know electricity, but I don't have THE BOOK anymore for my 1998 so I'm kinda guessing the specifics.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I do not have a multi-meter. Ya the dash would flicker with the dim now the lights just flat out dont work, so im thinking dimmer as well hopefully thats not expensive. Thanks jim

Old 11-22-2010, 03:48 PM

I had that same problem and i changed out my dimmer and all the fuses were fine. I had to end up replacing my battery because the guy who owned my car before me got one to small and it wasnt putting enought volts to power all the lights when the headlights are on. I would get the battery out before ripping into the dash and all that mess.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

That's just another thing you want to measure & don't just buy a new battery. Sure, if it's the wrong size/class of battery then fix that issue. But there's a dozen things that MIGHT cause your problem.

You can get a cheapie multi-meter for under $20. A test-light is even less & you can do some checks with that. If you were gonna adjust your valves, would you do it with a hammer & pliers? A multi-meter is a good tool to have & it only gets MORE important with newer cars.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Im gonna pick up a multi-meter today not sure how to use it though, also ill have my battery checked out. Does anyone know how much it is to replace the dimmer switch? Also Jim what do you mean by adjusting the valves? Thanks everyone

Quick Reply: Dash Lights PLEASE HELP!