General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dash/Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Default RE: Dash/Tail Lights

I'll have to check that too asap, it must be though.. since it seems that MAYBE when the guy re-did wiring, he saw 'light fuse' and hooked headlight wire directly to it not thinking of the combo switch. That'd make sense wouldn't it? Or possibly.. the combo switch DID go bad, and he bypassed it not caring (maybe spliced the red/black right into the red/green).. I gotta figure it out, thanks for all of the help.. any other suggestions let me know. Either I'll find where he branched off the original red/black to the fuse or other power source, or I'll run an all new wire (that'd be ok right?)

I think he would have HAD to have spliced it into the red/green right? being that it's only hot when that fuse is in?

Old 09-23-2006, 06:40 PM

from the wiring diagram it appears that the wire just runs up the the instrument cluster and back to the tailights so you could run all new wire but that would leave you with a random hot lead in the car that you'd just have to cap off, I'm almost betting that he ran the red/black wire directly to the fuse box along with the other wire or he branched off the other hot lead at some point look for the wires around the fuse box the problem is probably right there hidden in a piece of electricians tape, let us know what you find

Old 09-23-2006, 06:50 PM

Yea I'm gonna wait until tomorrow when I can pull it into my stepdads shop, where it's cool and I can work on it comfortably w/o getting frustrated (since that leads to just ripping wires..lol)

I'll trace that red/green hot lead from the fuse box and see if he spliced the red/black into it to bypass a *possibly* bad combo switch.

I really appreciate all the help..

Old 09-26-2006, 03:43 PM

did you ever find out what the problem with your wiring was?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 PM

I had to put that on hold to replace my radiator fan, which I have to say was one of the easiest engine part replacing things I've ever done LOL.. took 5 minutes, 3 10mm bolts and 2 plugs that slide off.

So now, my fan works.. I turned the AC on and both spin nice and fast. Haven't drove the car around to see if it kicks on from temp. though.. let it idle for maybe 5 minutes, would that not get hot enough?

For the lights though.. it has to be what we've pretty much came up with.. I'm gonna try to track it down where it's spliced, if not.. I'll run a new one.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:53 PM

I'd imagine you're going to find the splice pretty easily... look for the big ball of tape *LOL* as for the fans it depends on the outside temp but 5 minutes of idle doesn't sound like enough to kick on the fans.... of course that all depends on altitude and temp etc so who knows.... hopefully it worked! Glad it was an easy fix

Old 09-27-2006, 02:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ok let's start from the begining and review a few things.........

with the fuse installed the tail lites stay on even if the combo switch is off,, also you said that if you disconnect the plug at combo switch tail lites still stay on correct ??

looking at the schematic the only way that the red/black wire is getting power is through the combo switch on or a shorted combo switch,,

Now stay with me .....with the fuse out the tail lites do not work,, we can assume that the short to power in not downstream from the switch cause if it were, tail lites would stay on wether the fuse was in or not

with the fuse on they stay on all the time , but if you unplug the combo switch it kills the power back there ,,,

with fuse in you should have power at red/green wire. and no power at red/black with combo switch off.......if you get power at red/black with combo switch off 99% of the time i have found it to be a bad combo switch ,, but you are saying that with combo switch unplugged you still have power at red/black correct ???

do not feel insulted but are you sure that you disconnected the proper switch ??..

Old 09-27-2006, 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

ok let's start from the begining and review a few things.........

with the fuse installed the tail lites stay on even if the combo switch is off,, also you said that if you disconnect the plug at combo switch tail lites still stay on correct ?? - Correct (Combo Switch for Headlights/Parking Lights/Turn Signals, Plug faces gauges)

looking at the schematic the only way that the red/black wire is getting power is through the combo switch on or a shorted combo switch,,

Now stay with me .....with the fuse out the tail lites do not work,, we can assume that the short to power in not downstream from the switch cause if it were, tail lites would stay on wether the fuse was in or not

with the fuse on they stay on all the time , but if you unplug the combo switch it kills the power back there ,,,

with fuse in you should have power at red/green wire *Check*. and no power at red/black with combo switch off *Always Hot w/ Fuse In *.......if you get power at red/black with combo switch off 99% of the time i have found it to be a bad combo switch ,, but you are saying that with combo switch unplugged you still have power at red/black correct ??? Correct.

do not feel insulted but are you sure that you disconnected the proper switch ??.. Removed steering column plastic, disconnected the switch plug on the left (right behind the lever/combo switch for turn/tail/headlights, facing gauges) All the wire colors match up also,

I appreciate all the help!

Old 09-27-2006, 03:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well next thing i would have to do is to start doing the eliminating process, start unplugging things unfortunatelly you would not believe where the red/blk wire goes to after the combo switch ..but what does not make sense is that ,they do not works with fuse out ...mmmmm...

there are 20 wires at the combo switch correct ?? do all the wires at the connector look ok.. ? ( crimped ? melted? )

Old 09-27-2006, 03:19 AM

All of the wires looked fine, I looked all around the plug to see if I saw a spliced area.. does it seem to you that someone maybe spliced the red/black into the red/green? Since the power source HAS to come from the fuse? I could just trace only that red/green then right? How far does it travel?

Quick Reply: Dash/Tail Lights