General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dashboard lights flashing like my turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:09 AM
Question Dashboard lights flashing like my turn signal

Hey all,

I have a '99 Honda Accord LX (4 cylinder) with about 180k miles... And surprisingly enough to me.... The original factory installed battery. Sadly, all good things come to an end but this baby isn't giving up without a fight.

I had some minor issues with the car not starting for the first couple of tries but it always ended up starting. I still went to Auto Zone to have them do an alternator/battery test... Alternator was fine, but the guy said the battery was bad and was surprised it was still going.

That was over a month ago.... Due to financial issues, since the cheapest battery i can find is $99 at Wal-mart, i"ve just been waiting to get forced into getting it done basically.

Anyways, during this time i've experienced this weird thing with my dashboard lights a few times. Note - it's not all of the dashboard lights, just the normal ones that are light up when the headlights are on. In each instance my car had been running, but parked, for about 30min or so.

Out of nowhere, the lights "blink" or "flash" at me 6 times exactly, while simultaneously making the clicking sound of my turn signal.

Does this have to do with the bad battery? Or is it some other kind of electrical problem (pleaseeee say no to that)?

Advice is greatly appreciated!!! And any suggestions on a place that i can purchase a decent battery for a lil cheaper than a $100 would also be very awesome!

Thanks - Em

Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Well, a bad battery causing flaky system voltage IS an electrical problem.

With more functions controlled through the PCM, and a couple multiplexers to run things like lights & windows, it's important that the system voltage is good.

Get a battery THEN worry about looking for other problems.