General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day Time Running Light (DRL) Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Default Day Time Running Light (DRL) Help!

Ok so its not uncommon for our Canadian Accords, Civics etc. to have the DRL module fail. Sadly its a good $200 fix, but the good news is that most DRL failures seem to be related to the soldering and can be fixed very quick and cheap. Here is a link for more information on this:

http://www.nyx.net/~smanley/hondadrlfix/index.html

There are also youtube videos and other threads on the issue.

Now to where I need your help...I can't find mine. I know this sounds stupid but I removed all the panels under the steer column and searched for the tell tail grey box with blue plug but its nowhere...I figured maybe my Accord was an odd ball and so I checked the passenger side too, not there either. So I checked the driver side again more carefully. Nothing. I figured perhaps someone before me had it replaced (Im second owner) with a non-OEM option that looked al little different and checked again. No dice. I can't find ANYTHING that resembles it. The closest things I found were ABS and Cruise Control. Please, someone look at my pictures and point out that I was in some idiotic way missing the obvious or better yet tell my Im not stupid after all and its in some bizarre other place I wasn't looking. I drive a 7th Gen 2003 Honda Accord Coupe. Your help and advice are most appreciated

Name:  Carandskates006.jpg
Views: 9401
Size:  99.0 KB
Name:  Carandskates005.jpg
Views: 6507
Size:  81.7 KB
Name:  Carandskates004.jpg
Views: 6326
Size:  97.3 KB
Name:  Carandskates003.jpg
Views: 6578
Size:  114.8 KB
Name:  Carandskates002.jpg
Views: 6095
Size:  82.9 KB
Name:  Carandskates001.jpg
Views: 6377
Size:  84.0 KB

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-22-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Removed links
Old 05-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

The link you posted is the DRL module for earlier Hondas which are not the same as the system on your 2003 Accord.

I believe your DRL sytem includes the Multiplex Integrated Control Units (MICU), the right and left high beam headlights, the parking switch, and the DRL indicator. Your 7th generation Canadian Accord DRL is very similar to the 8th generation (2008 - 2012) North America Accord's DRL.

Usually, the problem may be one or both high beam headlight bulbs burned out or fuses. Also check the No. 19 (40A) fuse, No. 3 (10A) fuse, and No. 5 (10A) fuse in the under hood fuse box (see attached pic.).

The problem usually is not the MICU on your generation Accord.

Attached Thumbnails Day Time Running Light (DRL) Help!-underhood-fuse.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

I was just thinking about it a little more, I kind of remember Canadian Accords (7th generation) had a separate relay in a separate little box which holds two relays, located right next to the under hood fuse/relay box. I'll see if I can find the diagram showing the relay in that box.

However, the problem may be as simple as the high beam bulbs or a fuse. Check those first.

Attached Thumbnails Day Time Running Light (DRL) Help!-7th-gen-drl-relay-location.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 05-05-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added a pic of the location of the relay
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
I was just thinking about it a little more, I kind of remember Canadian Accords (7th generation) had a separate relay in a separate little box which holds two relays, located right next to the under hood fuse/relay box. I'll see if I can find the diagram showing the relay in that box.

However, the problem may be as simple as the high beam bulbs or a fuse. Check those first.
You guys are the greatest!

I'm glad i wasn't going crazy and just missing the obvious. I've checked the fuses and changed at least one of the bulbs already, I can change the other bulb but when I turn the headlights on manually they both turn on so I'm inclined to think its not bulbs either. If not the bulbs, fuses or relay I'm at a loss....

(Side note the user manual method to change the bulbs thru the wheel well is absolutely awful!! Do it thru the hood if you can and if you do it in sub zero temps expect to snap those plastic tabs).

So is the box to the right of the fuses under the hood is what Im looking for? Should I bother to take the nut off and try to fool with solders or is it time to go to the mechanic and suck it up...

Name:  IMG00158-20120507-1817.jpg
Views: 7532
Size:  121.2 KB
Name:  IMG00157-20120507-1817.jpg
Views: 5983
Size:  101.2 KB
Name:  IMG00159-20120507-1817.jpg
Views: 5937
Size:  61.4 KB
Name:  IMG00160-20120507-1817.jpg
Views: 5836
Size:  107.9 KB

Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

That little box to the left of the fuse box (when looking at the engine bay from the front of the car) has the DRL relay. See if there is an identical relay that you can switch, so you can test to see if the DRL will start working.

Do you have a volt meter, because there are some electrical tests you can do to help narrow down the problem, if switching the relay doesn't fix it.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

DRL relay is located in that little box to the left, as shown in attached picture.

Attached Thumbnails Day Time Running Light (DRL) Help!-drl-relay-location.jpg  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Drez

(Side note the user manual method to change the bulbs thru the wheel well is absolutely awful!! Do it thru the hood if you can and if you do it in sub zero temps expect to snap those plastic tabs).
Did you check the low beam or the high beam bulb? The high beam bulbs should be accessible from under the hood without going through the wheel well like for the low beam bulbs.

I may be wrong; but, I thought the 2003 - 2007 Canadian Accords system was like the 2008-2012 USA Accord DRL, which uses the high beam bulbs; but, at reduce power and brightness.

Attached Thumbnails Day Time Running Light (DRL) Help!-driver-side-hi-beam-bulb-replacement.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 AM

OMG you guys are the best. We're all fixed up, though I feel stupid to admit it. I must have checked the fuses and the bulbs probably three times each but didn't even think about the high beams, especially as they still turned on. Turns out, pass side high beam was out. Replaced through the hood and all is working well. Thanks so much everyone for your help. Every adventure like this teaches me something new about my cars.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it....thanks Redbull-1

And thank you Drez for coming back with the answer, it helps everyone to know what solved the issue.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redbull-1

Usually, the problem may be one or both high beam headlight bulbs burned out or fuses. Also check the No. 19 (40A) fuse, No. 3 (10A) fuse, and No. 5 (10A) fuse in the under hood fuse box (see attached pic.).

The problem usually is not the MICU on your generation Accord.
Glad you got it fixed.

The high beam headlight bulb is usually the number one cause for DRL on the later generation Accords.

Quick Reply: Day Time Running Light (DRL) Help!