General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ddashboard electronic problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Default ddashboard electronic problems

My problem started yesterday. Defroster was on and I noticed it turning off and on by itself. I reach home, turn off car, turn it back on, then all the lights on my aftermarket dash kit turned on. They wouldn't turn off even when I pressed all the buttons. This morning, I turn car on, everything is back to normal. I go for a drive, 2 minutes later the blower shuts off. No buttons work, all led lights are off. After driving for 15 minutes it came back on. So basically it goes off and on on its own. No controls work. It blows on window or straight forward. I have no control over it. And ne pioneer is working perfectly. Can someone help?

Old 08-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Can you tell us a bit more about how the aftermarket unit was installed? Is the radio still working when all of this is happening?

Old 08-19-2012, 03:38 AM

Dash kit was installed at an audio shop. Yes radio still works. It seems like every time I turn off the car and let it sit for a while, the dang controls reset to normal. Than after I drive it a bit, they go crazy again. And its just the buttons and **** that controls the a/c defroster and temperature.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:22 PM

Anybody got any ideas?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Go to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. There is a link under the 03-07 accords to check HVAC codes. It is simple to do and worth a shot to see if there was a problem detected.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Thx pahonda, but i have a aftermarket dash kit.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 PM

take a look at the video. It shows whats happening.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

This seems to be an electrical problem with the HVAC controls. Did you install this kit, or did you have someone install it for you?

Other than the radio, are the other components the original?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 PM

Everything audio is aftermarket. Audio shop installed it. Am I able to buy a new harness or do u think it has to do with my kit? How would I diagnose it?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Are the lower and upper HVAC controls aftermarket too? The lower controls look like the ones originally on the car.

I know there were some problems with the original circuit boards that run the HVAC on accords of your vintage. The aftermarket kit may have used the circuit boards that were originally on the car.

What makes this tougher is that we don't know what is aftermarket vs OEM. I doubt that the aftermarket kit had its own HVAC controls, so try this procedure to get codes. It may or may not work, but is worth a shot.

Here is the procedure to get diagnostic trouble codes on your car.

1. Turn off ignition switch
2. Turn fan switch off
3. Set temperature to max cool, then push mode control button to select vent.
4. Turn ignition switch to II position
5. Press and hold the recirculation button
6. While holding the button down, press the rear window defogger button five times within 10 seconds. The recirculation blinks two times, then the self-diagnosis will begin.

If there are any problem codes in the system after the self-diagnostic is finished, the recirculation indicator will blink trouble codes (1 to 6). If there are any problem sin the evaporator temperature sensor circuit, then the a/c indicator will blink codes (7 or 8).

If no codes are found, then indicator(s) will not blink.

7. Turn off ignition switch to stop the self diagnostics.

Quick Reply: ddashboard electronic problems