General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

deep engine sound when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:56 PM
Default deep engine sound when accelerating

I have a 1997 automatic Honda Accord. Today I noticed it was driving funny, but didn't realize the sound until I got off of the Interstate and accelerated from a stop light. It sounded very boggy and very loud driving down the street.

I usually calculate my gas mileage on long rides to see what I am getting, usually on long rides about 29 miles per gallon. Today it was significantly lower (about 17.) I initially thought it was the exhaust/muffler, but the noise was coming from under the hood, not the back. The sound it is making sounds like a typical beater car that you can hear from a block away, and the faster you accelerate the louder it gets.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 PM

Welcome to the forum

Considering the reduced gas mileage.. could be a couple of different possibilities.... Perhaps a loose exhaust manifold, or a head gasket issue... maybe a clogged Catalytic converter (?)

May I suggest that after the engine has warmed, park the car, raise the hood, have someone you trust to accelerate while you listen under the hood

Next step: do you know a mechanic that is trustworthy?