General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

different temp thermostat inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Default different temp thermostat inquiry

On my 92 Accord I obtained a replacement thermostat and gasket. I noticed that thermostat has a temperature stamped on it 170 degrees, whereas the one I'm replacing has 180 degrees. It is my understanding that OE for the engine would be 170 degrees. I would assume of course the original thermostat has been replaced already but with the 180 degree one. Is it probably better just use my new replacement one (170 degrees) or is it better for some reason to obtain another 180 degree replacement instead?

Also, I noticed a rather obvious difference with the aftermarket (from Car Quest) gasket, as compared with the one already installed which I was planning on replacing too. The aftermarket one here (shown in the photo, I'm holding it) doesn't have those bump/tabs on the rubber and is somewhat different otherwise as can be seen. Probably won't seal as properly as the old one there, so am thinking either try to get either closer or OE replacement or just re-use the old one because it actually looks fine. I noticed when I took the thermostat housing off there was a little red-colored sealant type material used also around the seal and I was wondering about that too.
Any comments appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails different temp thermostat inquiry-img_2731_zps62f21cad.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It is well agreed that OEM thermostat is way to go. Faster warmup and more precise temp control. OEM is fully open at 90C (194F) which is what's stamped on thermostat body (from memory).

Not sure what bumps on OEM are for, but the slight cut-out is for a vent fitting that allows a little water/air to bypass a closed thermostat. It should be positioned at TDC in the housing.

good luck

Old 11-03-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
OEM is fully open at 90C (194F) which is what's stamped on thermostat body (from memory).
I'm somewhat confused now about the statement quoted above as contrasted with the new thermostat I bought which was listed as 170 degrees and as the OEM temperature. Stamped on the body of it is 170 degrees. I guess if that means this new thermostat I bought is fully open at 170F (and not 194F) then it's not OEM?

Further info: Car Quest shows the 170 degree thermostat as being the "OE temperature" thermostat for the vehicle, and also has available a 180 degree thermostat for the vehicle which it lists as the "alternate' temperature.

Last edited by sgull; 11-03-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

The cut-out in the gasket is for the little vent (rattle-pin). The bumps alongside it will fit into corresponding recess in the housing, to make it "obvious" the correct orientation to install the T-stat. Without those bumps, you simply have to pay attention to the small recess where the vent belongs. The bumps don't actually contribute to how the gasket seals, they simply help you see the correct orientation.

BTW, I don't see the little rattle-pin vent in your photo of the T-stat. Is the gasket clocked around to the wrong position? Or is the vent not present on your T-stat?

Old 11-03-2014, 03:43 PM

First opening temp for OEM is listed at 169-176F, however as I said I think temp rating is 194F. I know when I've checked temp on my 94EX (same thermostat), the operating temp is about 190-200 w/ IR gun.

good luck

Old 11-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I don't see the little rattle-pin vent in your photo of the T-stat. Is the gasket clocked around to the wrong position? Or is the vent not present on your T-stat?
I'm not too clear on the question; I have no experience with these thermostats. So here's a couple pictures of the old stat (which I just took out and am planning on replacing):

And here's a couple pictures of the new one I got, which I was planning on maybe using as a replacement (when/if depending on whether I can decide if it'll be okay to use it):

Does it look by the photos provided whether the gasket is clocked around to the wrong position? I didn't move the position from where I found it when I took it out...

Attached Thumbnails different temp thermostat inquiry-img_2733_zps345be36d.jpg   different temp thermostat inquiry-img_2734_zpsa274cbf0.jpg   different temp thermostat inquiry-img_2735_zps2a94b832.jpg   different temp thermostat inquiry-img_2736_zps9b2abc9e.jpg  

Last edited by sgull; 11-03-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:32 PM

First opening temp for OEM is listed at 169-176F, however as I said I think temp rating is 194F. I know when I've checked temp on my 94EX (same thermostat), the operating temp is about 190-200 w/ IR gun.
I see. Okay I'll go with my new thermostat that is apparently listed as 170F, and which is also stamped on it. But I see no 194F stamped on it otherwise.

I wonder why in the past somebody decided to replace the original with the 180F one? And why there is that "alternative" 180F option available? That I don't get.

And, incidentally, I noticed the "alternative" 180F thermostat is almost twice as expensive as the "OEM"170F one.

Last edited by sgull; 11-03-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Operating below spec temp will cost gas mileage. Not sure how much.

good luck

Old 11-03-2014, 07:16 PM

Operating below spec temp will cost gas mileage. Not sure how much.
But the stat which was installed (180F) and I am planning on replacing with the new one (170F) seems to me that it would be considered to be above spec temp, not below spec temp (unless I am mistaken/incorrect about what is considered operating temp) . For what reason(s) why might some folks choose to go above spec temp, as opposed to sticking with spec temp?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

" Is it probably better just use my new replacement one (170 degrees) or is it better
for some reason to obtain another 180 degree replacement instead? "

Heater output is the practical reason.

You're in temperate seacoast climate so you're probably happy with the heater performance having had a 170F thermo = you're good to go.

I'm inland, colder winter temps, so I'd value the extra uumph in the heater temp output with a higher 180F temp thermostat.

Quick Reply: different temp thermostat inquiry