General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor o-ring - where does it go exactly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Default Distributor o-ring - where does it go exactly?

Help! Read a lot of threads on replacing the distributor o-ring but it is very unclear about exactly where it goes. Got an 97 Accord (4 cyl) with a bad leak where the distributor connects to the engine. Pulled it off and could not see an old o-ring anywhere. Now I don't know where to put the new one. I can slide it over the protruding part of the distributor that goes into the engine, but it's somewhat loose there. Or I can slide it over that protrusion until it is flush with the flat face of the distributor that connects flush with the engine.

Don't know if that makes any sense as all of this is so hard to describe. Bottom line is, when I put the distributor back on, just before I bolt it in, should I be able to see the o-ring as it makes contact between the distributor and engine or should I not see it, as it's been inserted into the engine?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

~Paul

Old 06-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The distributor has a slot cut around the shaft and takes and the O ring. There is a seal for the inside of the distributor but that only needs to be replaced if there is oil leak under the cap.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
The distributor has a slot cut around the shaft and takes and the O ring.
Thanks Chris, that helps. Earlier today, I tried putting the o-ring in that location but the slot there is smaller (thinner in width) than the o-ring I have. The o-ring then doesn't really seat there like it's going to stay but wants to "roll" down the shaft. I'll try it again though and slide the distributor into the engine block to see if stays put.

Greatly appreciate the quick response!

Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Kris is correct on the location. Just coat the new o-ring with some engine oil and it will slide in. That should fix your problem.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Just coat the new o-ring with some engine oil and it will slide in. That should fix your problem.
Will give it a go today, thanks John!

Really appreciate your guys help.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Default Success!

Originally Posted by wallawonder
Will give it a go today, thanks John!
Success! Just thought I'd follow up and let ya know; the reason I couldn't get the new o-ring on was because the old one was there all along! A mechanic buddy of mind came over and instantly recognized it. I had thought it was part of the distributor shaft because the thing was flat and hard; but a quick cut with a knife set it free, making room for the new one. Wow. Lesson learned.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:13 AM

good info.