General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have to get a new transmission or something like that?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Default Do I have to get a new transmission or something like that?

I have a 1991 Honda Accord lx 4dr automatic. The "S" light came on a couple of weeks ago and when I drove it, it would shift up slowly. When I turned it off and then back on, the car was fine. Now the light stays on and the car does not shift up at all from 2nd gear. and about 3 days ago, the car would not let me get out of P into R or D. So I had to put the key in the "shift lock" to get it out of park. I had a mechanic look at the car and he told me that I needed to get the transmission fluid changed and that would take care of the problem. I also had a friend of mine look at it, and he said the same thing. I cant helo but to think that I will have to get a new transmission. Will I have to get a new tranny if it is not the fluid???

Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by kellysa111
I have a 1991 Honda Accord lx 4dr automatic. The "S" light came on a couple of weeks ago and when I drove it, it would shift up slowly. When I turned it off and then back on, the car was fine. Now the light stays on and the car does not shift up at all from 2nd gear. and about 3 days ago, the car would not let me get out of P into R or D. So I had to put the key in the "shift lock" to get it out of park. I had a mechanic look at the car and he told me that I needed to get the transmission fluid changed and that would take care of the problem. I also had a friend of mine look at it, and he said the same thing. I cant helo but to think that I will have to get a new transmission. Will I have to get a new tranny if it is not the fluid???
it might be the drum inside ur tranny i have almost same problem i took to tranny place check is my drum wont shirft in to 2 gear is cost me 1645.35 dollar

Old 03-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

The S light means the transmission computer detected a problem. You need to find the code it set to properly troubleshoot.

You have a blue two pin connector below your glovebox that is plugged into a dummy connector. You short that with a thin paperclip. Count the S flashes. Short Flash =1, Long Flash =10

ie, L S S S = 13

Post the code on here.

You can download a 91 shop manual from Online Manuals thread in the DIY Section. That will help you out a lot.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The S light means the transmission computer detected a problem. You need to find the code it set to properly troubleshoot.

You have a blue two pin connector below your glovebox that is plugged into a dummy connector. You short that with a thin paperclip. Count the S flashes. Short Flash =1, Long Flash =10

ie, L S S S = 13

Post the code on here.

You can download a 91 shop manual from Online Manuals thread in the DIY Section. That will help you out a lot.
I had the same issue with my 97 accord and the d4 light flashing, I checked and cleaned the shift solenoids and it went away. You may want to try that

Old 03-18-2009, 04:20 PM

so i went to a transmission shop to get the fluid changed and while i was driving to the place, the car acted like it was in neutral even though i was in D4 and i couldnt accelerate. When I got there, they checked it out and told me that there is something wrong inside the transmission. My uncle doesnt believe that, so tomorow a friend of his is going to check the car out. Hopefully its nothing inside it, and the shop people were lying.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Get the code, and that will point you in the right direction.

Its quick and easy to do.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 PM

i am very hesitant to do that. because whenever i try to do something and my gut tells me not to do it and i do, it goes horribly wrong....is there another way to get the code?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Code can be obtained by 1) turning keyswitch to ON and 2) pulling back carpet on passenger side foot area. The ECU and TCU are in a module bolted to foot area of body. There is a clear window just to right of center on upper side of ECU/TCU module. It will blink the codes (red led blinking). Read the flashes as described by PAHonda.

good luck

Old 03-19-2009, 06:12 PM

ok so i think im blind. because i pulled back the carpet on the passenger side and I found the module, but when i turn the key to on, i dont see any blinking lights, or lightbulbs for that matter... just bear with me here

Old 03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You have to look through a clear window on the cover to the inside of the module to see the LED blinking on the circuit board under the cover.

good luck

Quick Reply: Do I have to get a new transmission or something like that?