General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

donor 96-97 F22b1 engine swap into 95 ex accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Notes for future reference-
Torque settings
Oil Pan - 9 ft pounds
Intake manifold bolts 17 ft pounds
Valve cover - 7.2 ft pounds
Water pump - 9 ft pounds
Timing belt tensioner - 33 ft pounds
Access bolt to insert m6x100mm bolt for tensioner- 12 ft pounds
Flywheel bolts - 75.9 ft pounds
Torque converter to flywheel bolts - 19 ft pounds

Old 07-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by beastman
I think you're right on the manifold. The old one is a mess and will need to be pressure washed, then new gaskets on everything connected to it.

I an not sure how long it takes for injectors to dry out, but the stock injectors are still good and the car ran just fine as of a month ago w /the blown head gasket, it would just over heat within 10 minutes due to exhaust gases in the coolant.

The donor engine has been sitting for about a year. I already replaced the timing belt and water pump on the engine stand, and the 97 block had the retainer clip on the balancer shaft already, so that was good. I used a kit from napa that included asin water pump, toyo balancers and mitsubishi belts for about $160. I am also going to replace the rear-main seal on this motor and already have a oil pan gasket set and a intake manifold gasket. Will need the whole intake assembly now and an o-ring for that oil sensor that was moved over. I used a dewalt 300 ft pound 1/2 impact (20v) to secure back the crank pulley. That was pretty straight forward, but I will take your suggestion and just get this thing done and piecemeal it. I will just leave the 95 injectors as is at this point because I know they work. I do believe the only difference is the intake manifold portion, the throttle body assembly is identical from the 95 to the 97. All the sensors line up. I might just use the 97 throttle body because it's clean and the sensors are newer with less mileage and migrate the intake manifold from the block from the 95, evap assembly and fuel rails.

BTW, when moving over the wire harness the grommet that connects to the knock sensor on the back of the motor (I think that's what it is) broke, but the connector is still fine. I am not sure if there is a replacement boot for this or not out there because that connector gets really hard over time and it is not pliable.

Brock
If you don't have a pressure washer, a manual car wash bay will work just fine. I couldn't tell you how many engines I've power washed that way over the years, but it's been quite a few. I think your 95 injectors will be fine. The 97's that have been sitting over a year I would worry about. You can soak them in a peanut butter jar filled with diesel until you need them (soaking them will help bring them back to life). Good to hear you were thinking a head on getting the timing side done while it's out. That's the best time to do it. Sounds like the NAPA kit is the same as the Rock Auto kit, but for more money (about 100 bucks plus shipping). As long as your impact will torque the crank bolt to 150 ftlbs, you're good to go. As for the boot, I couldn't tell IF it's available, but you could look on Honda parts now.com, and see IF they offer it. If anybody does, it'll probably be Honda. Otherwise you'll have to improvise something. Without seeing it, I couldn't tell you what to use. Some body above me posted a suggestion though.
Good luck with your swap, as it sounds like you've got the bull by the horns now.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Felpro oil pan gasket

I am not sure if rtv is required on the oil pan gasket or not. I bought a felpro and cleaned the oil pan today. Was not able to finish the intake manifold due to another gasket from the water thermostat connection to the intake needing an oem gasket the local auto stores do not carry. The gasket is blue. Talked to Oreilly's later today and they said the blue ones are made to go on without any rtv due to the thickness and torqued down to factory specs. We'll see. Replacing it will be a huge PIA not on the engine stand if it leaks. I flipped the engine stand around to complete this one and it took like 10 minutes.

Last edited by beastman; 07-15-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-15-2019, 01:39 PM

I am not sure if rtv is required on the oil pan gasket or not. I bought a felpro and cleaned the oil pan today. Was not able to finish the intake manifold due to another gasket from the water thermostat connection to the intake needing an oem gasket the local auto stores do not carry. The gasket is blue. Talked to Oreilly's later today and they said the blue ones are made to go on without any rtv due to the thickness and torqued down to factory specs. We'll see. Replacing it will be a huge PIA not on the engine stand if it leaks. I flipped the engine stand around to complete this one and it took like 10 minutes.
If I remember right, only the corners would need rtv. By that I mean where the tangs of the gasket go.However, if you look in the FSM, it tells you to use Honda bond for a gasket (grey rtv).

Old 07-15-2019, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

I've also heard that Permatex "Ultra-Grey" is the same as Honda-Bond.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

good info. Thank you guys for the help on the gasket issue. I am going to put a dab in the corners before the bend of the gray permatex 'hondabond' equivalent.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I talked to a local guy who works at oreillys and who builds honda's in his spare time. He said the felpro technically should seal, but there is no reason not to put some black/grey rtv made for oil pans from permatex in between the inner portion of the gasket the whole way around. He said he has done this both ways and thinks the permatex will help long-term if the gasket starts to shrink in a few years due to expansion/contraction. He said he has also had people who had gaskets leak - the felpro blue colored gaskets even when torqued to factory specs, so it really depends on the make/model of the vehicle as to how well the felpro works according to him.

I got a new thermostat housing gasket from honda today where it meets up with the intake manifold. I'll post pictures when it's complete on the engine stand.

B

Old 07-19-2019, 03:41 PM

I talked to a local guy who works at oreillys and who builds honda's in his spare time. He said the felpro technically should seal, but there is no reason not to put some black/grey rtv made for oil pans from permatex in between the inner portion of the gasket the whole way around. He said he has done this both ways and thinks the permatex will help long-term if the gasket starts to shrink in a few years due to expansion/contraction. He said he has also had people who had gaskets leak - the felpro blue colored gaskets even when torqued to factory specs, so it really depends on the make/model of the vehicle as to how well the felpro works according to him.

I got a new thermostat housing gasket from honda today where it meets up with the intake manifold. I'll post pictures when it's complete on the engine stand.

B
You can do it however you want. Put it in the corners of the crank end where the tabs go, or coat the entire gasket, or just go without the gasket and use the rtv. It's your call. Honda used Honda bond. Those blue gaskets aren't meant for being used with silicone, except where it's called out (usually the tabs near the crank).

Old 09-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Finally put the car back together and drove it tonight. It's leaking a bit of coolant either from the radiator cap or the hose to the overflow. I have basically rebuilt everything now but the upper and lower ball joints.

The main problem I am having is the accelerator is sticky. I replaced the accelerator cable thinking that was part of the problem, but this was not an issue before even when the car sat for almost a year.

If I put my foot under the gas pedal and pull back it will fully decelerate, otherwise it will accelerate and only slightly de-celerate. I might need to do some adjustment on the cruise control, etc. I have the same cable going to the transmission as I did before and did not mess with it. So far everything works as expected, car is not overheating. I found the root problem was the heater control valve last time ended up having the lower portion of the housing failing causing a coolant leak and this was the end of that engine with a blow head gasket, and the trans would slip once in a while anyways. I found out once I filled this one back up with coolant, and it was only a problem when the heater control valve was in the hot position. Fortunately it was found before I started the car.

Hoping to get the car smogged, aligned and back on the road. A/C works and literally everything has been gone through except the ball joints, all new hoses, axles, tie-rod ends, heater control valve, intake gasket, rear main seal, timing belt, water pump, alternator, power steering pump, accelerator cable, starter, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, new radiator, and this engine/trans only has 82k miles. So far it drives well, just need to fix the coolant leak and accelerator problem, also replaced all the engine mounts with napa brand.

Any suggestions on the sticky throttle would be appreciated, thats my main concern at this point. I did setup the distributor in about the same position as last time, it might be a bit off but everything sounds good.

Last edited by beastman; 09-08-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Since you can get it to decelerate by lifting the pedal with your toe, I'd start by looking at the action of the pedal itself. Sticking hinges, pivot pins, stuff like that.

If it was the actual throttle body sticking, then you won't be able to un-stick it by lifting the pedal with your toe. Same thing if it was caused by the cruise control cable.

How about the accelerator cable? I know it's new, but if you disconnect both ends of the cable how does it feel? Moves smoothly? Excessive friction might mean the cable is kinked somewhere as it goes through the firewall or bends around in the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: donor 96-97 F22b1 engine swap into 95 ex accord