General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Don't I really have catalitic converter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Default Don't I really have catalitic converter problem?

When I was driving, the Check Engine light came on, so I took my car to a mechanic. They tested the codes and said I have two catalitic converters bad. One near the radiator and the other somewhere else.The estimate he gave me was about $600-$700 for the front one and $200 less for the other one. I could not afford this, so I took it to another mechanic who, as I was told by someone I know, was supposed to be an honest guy who will not over charge. He did something and the light went off. Then asked me to drive the car for 30 to 40 miles, later tested again with some instrument which gave him two errors. He asked me to drive for some more time again. (I think he said he put the computer on learn mode). After three attempts, as he kept getting the two errors, he told me that I have to change the catalitic converter and I agreed. When I went to pick up the car, he said the catalitic converter is not the issue, he had to flash the computer (or some such thing). The following is what he charged me for: 4 hours to perform Computer scan and retrieve codes for catalitic converter low efficiency, trouble shoot code and long and short term fuel trim and found engine computer calibration problem, reprogram computer and perform drive cycle.

Amount charged was $360 for his time and $150 for Honda Factory Program access, You think I paid for some thing he really did to fix my issue?

The check engine light did not come back again for the past 24 hours, but the light did not come on even those three times I drove either, though the mechanic found error codes after I drove. So I don't know if everything is fixed now. Does what I described above seems to you to be an appropriate fix that you guys encounter in your experience and you think it passes smell test? I just want to make sure I will not have an issue later when I take my car for inspection in a few months and I did not merely waste $510..

Thanks

AR

Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 AM
Almost A Senior Member

What issues were u having with the car? Just the check engine light ? If so any auto parts store can tell you what the light says. Then you make your own assessment from there. What was the 2 codes he got from the CEL(check engine light)

Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Could be.....but we don't know the year, engine and a few other details (trim level, actual codes, ect).

To me, again just me, the second shop took the time to actually test/confirm things. Just because you get a code telling you X is wrong doesn't mean replace X. It means to test/inspect/confirm X.

PS- Welcome to HAF and thanks for joining.

EDIT: and I now see that "jroxz44" posted as I was slowly typing

Last edited by poorman212; 10-20-2013 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Slow typing :)
Old 10-20-2013, 05:11 PM

Thanks to Poorman212 and jrox44. My car is 2003 Accord V6 Engine. Approx 165,000 miles on it. I will get the other details and post here. The other issue I was noticing for the past 10/15 days was that I hear a harsh sound - like metal on metal sound - when I accelerate. No such annoying sound if I go slow. It does seem to come from the front of the car.

In any case, today I had a big issue. The car just stopped while I was driving but in front of an expensive Honda dealer. After refusing to help me at all unless I get a tow truck and tow the car into their lot (which was about 30 feet away), they did help me push the car in. They told me that I have to change the battery (which I had to just to get the car out) and then they said my alternator needs replacement. I called the mechanic who did the above job on the computer and he said he will replace the alternator. But I would like to know if it is really the alternator or something he did in the computer (for my catalitic converter issue above)that could cause the issue? (For example not sending correct signals to the alternator etc, if such a thing can happen). What should I tell the mechanic before spending hundreds of dollars again.

Thanks

Last edited by araccord; 10-20-2013 at 05:15 PM.