General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drain gas tank youtube method ('92 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Default drain gas tank youtube method ('92 Accord)

I'm getting ready to part out and/or otherwise dispose of my '92 Accord. I still have maybe 3/4 tank of gas in the tank which I'd like to be able to remove using the method as shown in the following youtube link, by jumping the appropriate terminal connections with a paper clip. One initial issue I have is being able to determine where this would be on my vehicle, as the way I understand it on the '92 Accord there is not a fuel relay per se but instead the main relay (located under the dash area) which I'd probably have to deal with instead. Any help/comments how I can accomplish on my vehicle how they accomplished it on the following video would be appreciated.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:41 PM

isn't there a drain plug on your tank already?

Old 02-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaAccord
isn't there a drain plug on your tank already?
Yes indeed there is, and I've considered going that route but not sure how I'd handle it as I removed the plug and all that gas starts flowing out of the drain hole uncontrolled; I'd have to have the car raised high enough to get a decent size container underneath to catch the gas and have some room to be able to maneuver myself underneath as well to be able to screw/unscrew the plug quickly and easily as I needed. Seems like gas would all be trickling down my arm and such while I unscrew the plug. If there was a way I could get myself set up safely/properly to do it I'd go for it but otherwise I'm hesitant for the above reason(s). Any further comment along those lines also appreciated. thanks

Old 02-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

The main relay is just 2 relays in one box. The 92 main relay is a pain to access, because I think you have to remove the cruise control unit to access. If you get to the main relay, jump the red/wht to the blk/yel wire. Then turning the key to the II position will send power to the fuel pump.

Here is a video on the location. Just unplug the electrical connector and jump the pins as I described above. You may be able to unplug that relay without removing the cruise control computer (that metal box in the video below).

Old 02-04-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If you get to the main relay, jump the red/wht to the blk/yel wire.
Thanks! But for some reason my plug doesn't seem to have a red/wht wire. It does have a blue/red wire which is the only wire among them that has the color red in it. There is the blk/yellow wire, no problem there, but no red/wht wire...

Old 02-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Use a volt meter to verify the blk/yel wire gets only when the key is in the II position. The yellow wire is the wire that goes to the fuel pump.

The wire numbers are:
Top row: 1,3,5,7
Botton: 2,x,6,8 (x has no wire).

You should jump pin 5 (blk/ye) to pin 7 (yel), but verify the wire colors and the voltage.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Indeed my pin 5 is blk/yel and pin 7 is yel. So I assume to disregard previous mention of a red/wht wire (none on my plug anyway)?
And, so I'm clear, the "pins" that I will be jumping (actually inserting ends of the paper clip into) are the female openings on the plug itself, just opposite the wires? Not the male tab/terminals onto which the plug plugs onto, correct?

Old 02-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Ignore the red/wht. I was thinking about the 5th gen accords (94-97) when I typed that.

The pins you will jump are the female sockets that are on the wire harness. Not the main relay that is bolted to the side under the dash.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 PM

Gotcha. Thanks PAhonda, big time.
Now, insofar as disconnecting the proper fuel line from the fuel filter and connecting a hose from that fuel filter outlet to to a gas can, in the photo below which of the two is the correct one, the one on the left (in the photo) or the one on the right? And, unlike the situation shown in the youtube video here on my initial post, my fuel filter of course doesn't have those nipple type hose connections but instead the fuel line bolts on the metal line connections, so what might be a suggestion on how to go about getting a hose/tubing connected (going to my gas can) in this case? Also, the youtube video in my initial post mentions a "return line" as though there is an apparent third line on their fuel filter (one coming from the fuel tank, one going to the engine, and perhaps another one too, a return line, or am I mistaken/confused about that? Any further comment about that appreciated as well!

Old 02-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Follow the line on the left side of your picture to the fuel rail. You can detach at the drivers side of the fuel rail. The passenger side of the fuel rail has the return hose that leads back to the tank.

Quick Reply: drain gas tank youtube method ('92 Accord)