General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draining A Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Default Draining A Radiator

I have a 1992 Honda Accord Lx. I need some freon or something because the car is over heating when driven a few miles. So, I read the manual and the manual has all of these steps... loosening bolts from the radiator to drain it, this and that, this and that... then someone else told me that all I have to do is add water in the overflow container and the radiator because living in arizona doesn't warrant an antifreeze in the car. Is this true? Just sounds so weird to only put water in the car? Will I cause some type of damage to something? And if this is true, do I use regular water from the tap or bottled water? What are the steps? Thanks for any help!!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator
Arrow Ya Got Me Thinking

Get ahold of DesertHonda here in our web forum...he has a great shop there in Tuson and he would know for sure...

click this link and he will answer you..ask him about that question and tell him your from the HAF and that Angelo told you to contack him...

catibum@yahoo.com His name is Gianni

Old 06-18-2010, 01:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You need the rust preventives in antifreeze. If you use water only your cooling system will be full of rust and your cooling system components life will be cut short.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

And the rust will obstruct the flow of water leading to overheating.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Freon is a gas that goes into the Air Conditioning System. Is the water in the radiator rusty or dirty? If it heats up after a few miles, you may have greater problems. My first guess is that the cooling system needs to be flushed.

Open the drain, (it's illegal to let radiator fluid out into the gutter), place a water hose (slow flow) in the radiator, start the engine and let it run, until clear. Shut off engine, let it drain a little water out, shut valve; add antifreeze in a 50/50 combo. Check the label when you purchase, some already are 1/2 - 1/2, Others you need to mix with water. Let us know how it goes. I have a 95 LX, not sure what a 92 looks like, but mine has a "petcock" that is easy to get to, don't have to pull the radiator. Some say you have to use HONDA rad. fluid, I just use Prestone.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:56 PM

If you flush the system with water then drain the radiator only as you have pure water in the engine I would not use 50/50 mix but straight coolant. If you drain the block and Radiator I would go with 50/50.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM

first and most important you need to find out what is causing engine to overheat..........

bad t-stat( not opening ??) fans inop ?? low on coolant ???

Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
And the rust will obstruct the flow of water leading to overheating.
Or corrosion blocking the coolant channels.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:01 PM

i emailed the address listed and it bounced back. got another? in the meantime, my questions were... "Well, basically, I am afraid to drive this car. i just purchased it from a third part, planned on taking it to the shop, but my family and friends say that it isn't worth it since mechanics are rip-offs anyway!

Honestly I don't know what to do. How much would it cost to have a thermostat replaced, if that is the problem? How much for a new radiator? How much to remove rust form lines? How much to replace a cruise control actuator (there is a stick stuck in it)? Of course this applies to parts and labor?

And worse case scenario, what would the cost be to have an engine replaced.... (scary....)

I wanna drive :-)

Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Don't drive until you figure out the overheating. That will cause engine damage (~$300 for just the engine).

Check that the radiator is full of coolant by removing the radiator cap. Add a 50/50 mix of coolant/water to top it off.

Start the car, and turn on the a/c. Tell us if both fans in the engine bay turn on.

Also, look at the fins of the radiator. Are they falling apart? A new radiator will cost ~$100 and you can install it yourself. Is your car an automatic transmission or a manual?

Quick Reply: Draining A Radiator