General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dripping tranny liquid

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:11 PM
yuri53
Unregistered
Default Dripping tranny liquid

Own Accord EX 2003 (4 cyl, auto) with 112K (km) mileage. After 100K as Dealer recommended changed tranny liquid (at Honda dealer shop). Four months later discovered red color spots on my garage floor- tranny dripping (still not much as tranny liquid level is OK). Do not have any problems with tranny- smooth and responsive. Honda technician recommended to replace (not funny!) transmission ($4.5K) as "diff bearings worn". Really appreciate any advice what I should check for. Thanks.

//

Old 04-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Default RE: Dripping tranny liquid

where is it leaking from?

Old 04-28-2008, 04:59 PM

can you crawl under there and look for the leak is sir_nasty said?
Sounds like you need a second opinion on the cause of the leak. Did you take it back to the same shop that changed the fluid? if so, why didn't they notice the problem and notify you about itwhen they changed the fluid?(that's something you need to ask them)

Old 04-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Worn differential bearings would allow the axles to move around too much, wearing the axle oil seals quickly. That's one legitexplanation. But it sounds like a 2nd opinion would be good.

Besides, you can buy quite a few axle oil seals for the cost of a new tranny.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 AM
yuri53
Unregistered

Thanks gents for your replies.

Regarding your questions:
1) I changed tranny liquid and got first opinion ("worn bearing") from the same Honda dealership. They said there is no connection between changing and dripping as they simply pumpped old liquid (i.e. did not tough anything underneath my car);
2) I discovered dripping only 3 months later after changing tranny liquid (it seems to me it started to leak not immediately after changing);
3) Where it's leaking from? Tough question. I took my Accord to closest auto shop to figure out thesource and saw that whole area (not big) close to front driver side wheel was wet. They assured me that there is a needtoreplace thedrive shaft seal. They had done this- same result, i.e. still dripping.
I check liquid level every day- close to normal (or normal).

Really appreciate your help. Thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 AM

Is there any way you could jack it up and take off the wheel and take some pictures of it?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Worn differential bearings would allow the axles to move around too much, wearing the axle oil seals quickly. That's one legitexplanation. But it sounds like a 2nd opinion would be good.

Besides, you can buy quite a few axle oil seals for the cost of a new tranny.
This is exactly why I was curious where it was coming from... .as Jimblake said, if it's just the bearings you can replace the bearings and seals without having to replace the whole tranny and it'd be far less expensive, about 3 hours shop labor plus parts would be my best guestimate on cost...

Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

But if the diff. bearing motion is already so large that the new seals leak immediately?? If so, then I'm really disappointed this happened to a2003with only70k miles.

Can you replace the bearings without removing & dismantling the tranny? Sealsyou probably can,but I guessed not for the bearings.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 PM
yuri53
Unregistered

Probably I can make a picture of my car bottom side but not sure sorry it will show something valuable (as I mentioned already it's not absolutely clear when you check directly- not in picture I mean). Regarding possible "worn bearings"- to be honest I am pretty sceptical that Hondamechanic had enough time to thoroughly investgate the problem (rather than simply saying- replace tranny or better- whole car). I brought my car for engine oil change and in 40 minutes I've got my Accord back with changed oil and verdict- change transmission. It seems I really need second opinion- may be from another Honda dealership. Thanks everybody for help.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Nasty, do you know ifcan you replace the bearings without taking the tranny out of the car? My Helm book is 120 miles away from me right now...

Yuri, seeif you can find a shop capable & willing to do that. It sounds like your dealer doesn't want to deal with dismantling the tranny.

Quick Reply: Dripping tranny liquid