General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Window sticks when going up or down

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Default Driver Window sticks when going up or down

in my 1995 Honda Accord LX (not VTECH), the window was sticking when going up or down. Basically it did the stuttering. If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about.

Initially I though the motor was going bad. So I replaced it with a brand new one.

However, the window was still sticking and stuttering.

My next step was to remove all the weather stripping that the window rides on (the track) and cleaned it thoroughly to get any stickiness out.

When I put it back in the window was still sticking and stuttering.

I finally went to Honda dealer and bought some Silicone spray and sprayed it all down the tract. I opened and closed the window multiple times until it was evenly distributed along the track.

This seemed to work well for a while. But then (especially after it rained) the window would steadily begin to stick again. So I would spray it with silicone again.

It's been a year and I'm constantly spraying the window.

This is the only window causing any problems. All of the other windows glide smooth as ice. What can I do to fix it?

Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Although your window doesn't sound like it "jumps the track", try slightly repositioning the window regulator and/or front channel to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-14-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Honda Shin-Etsu silicone grease last a lot longer and better than most silicone spray.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.

1st: No it's definitely not jumping the track. That was the first thing I checked.
2nd: I've tried the silicone grease as well (I just didn't put it in the original post). It actually made things more sticky after about 2 weeks, the window would barely move. That's when I took the weather stripping out and washed it. Then used the spray.

Why would this be happening on this window and not any of the other windows?

Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 AM
Administrator

I have a feeling that you may be having an issue with the window rollers..look at them and see if they are worn out..

Old 10-01-2013, 11:28 AM

What's a window roller? It has power windows and the motor is brand new.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Clean the run channels again. Then use the "Shin-Etsu" on them.

While you have the panel off and doing the work. After the cleaning and "re-lube", work the window a few times and look/watch the regulator mounting points to be sure none are flexing or have cracks around them.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check that run channels don't have "dead ends" where window jams preventing movement.

I had window regulator develop a jam when the "turning guide" (turns 90 degrees) plastic peice of the regulator broke. Window would only move down and up to a certain postion (from memory?). Check window regulator parts carefully.

good luck

Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 PM

Again. What's a window roller.
The regulator is fine. When the window is not connected, it has no problems at all.
I initially replaced the old one because I thought that the problem actually was the window regulator. But when I put the new one in, had the same problems... That is until...

I bought the Honda Silicone spray. That is what the guy at the dealer parts store told me to use.

I spray it in the track and it works fine for a while. The problem is, that is only lasts for a little while (a couple weeks or so) or until it rains and I have to role the window down.

So based on that, there must be something going on in the track.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ericthecarguy video on youtube shows how to replace the run channel.

good luck

Quick Reply: Driver Window sticks when going up or down