General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driver's side seatbelt gets wet

Old 08-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

^^ That other thread sounds exactly what's going on with my wife's car. I had originally thought it could very well be a hole around where that molding is, but I didn't think it was the problem. I think I'll look into this again, though. If all I have to do to fix it is pull off that molding, put in some all weather silicone and reinstall the molding, I'll be the happiest camper ever. My wife wears a waterproof jacket every time after it rains as to not get soaked. I would like to fix it so she doesn't have to do that...

Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Why don't you try artificially creating the scenario?

Someone sits inside while someone outside hoses the car. Find out where the water is coming from.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 PM

Make sure the windows are up when you do that scenario.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by MessAround
Why don't you try artificially creating the scenario?

Someone sits inside while someone outside hoses the car. Find out where the water is coming from.
I'd basically have to take a lot of the interior of the car apart then. I was hoping to avoid having to do that. The carpet doesn't get wet nor does any other part of the car other than the seatbelt. This also only seems to happen when the car is stationary and the rainfall has to be fairly substantial and prolonged. I'm thinking there is a very small leak somewhere under the roof molding that I just missed. I'm going to try to take that off and see if I can find anything. If not, I'll probably end up taking some of the trim pieces off to expose the seatbelt.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

jrsticks1, thanks so much for posting that! I was intrigued by the idea of the seal under the roof trim, so I went and investigated. Turns out there were three very tiny breaks in the seal just above the B-pillar that was causing the water leak. It explains why it was only happening when the car was sitting still and why only the seatbelt was getting wet. The water dripped directly onto the seatbelt at a very slow pace, effectively soaking it and nothing else. After a quick cleaning, I ran a bead of exterior grade silicone over the seal and let the car sit for a full day in the sun to cure. It's rained pretty heavy three or four times since then and the car is bone dry! Thanks again for leading me straight to the problem!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Pic's-drawings?

I know you are glad, I hate getting those calls from my wife.

Hope all is well now.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Pic's-drawings?

I know you are glad, I hate getting those calls from my wife.

Hope all is well now.
I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures. It literally only took me five minutes to do. I just unsnapped the roof molding from its plastic clips and the sealant between the body panels was directly under that. I wiped the area clean with a little soap and water, dried it really well, applied the layer of exterior silicone and then let the car sit for a full day in the sun. After that, I just clipped the molding back in and all was well. Very simple and easy to do. I hope this helps someone out there who may have the same problem.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the follow up.....again just as you said, was trying to get a bit more detail to help others.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:25 PM

Did this exact "fix" to my car this week. Just waiting on a good rain to confirm it solved the issue.

During my investigation, this was brought to my attention: A bulletin from Honda with instructions on how to do the fix. My biggest gripe is that I wish I would have seen this before I did the fix, would have taken a lot of the guesswork out of what could be wrong. Either way, I'm hopeful that I got it done and doing a rain dance now to check.

Service Bulletin - Honda-Tech

Old 02-07-2019, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by IanEX-LV6
I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures. It literally only took me five minutes to do. I just unsnapped the roof molding from its plastic clips and the sealant between the body panels was directly under that. I wiped the area clean with a little soap and water, dried it really well, applied the layer of exterior silicone and then let the car sit for a full day in the sun. After that, I just clipped the molding back in and all was well. Very simple and easy to do. I hope this helps someone out there who may have the same problem.

Ok so do i unsnap the plastics, and there is a seal? My seatbelt is soaking wet everytime it rains over night.. I’m sick of it .. please let me know

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver's side seatbelt gets wet