General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Default Driveshaft removal

It appears as though I have a "special" case. I've read the factory manual, searched/googled it, watched plenty of youtube videos and for the life of me, I can't get the driveshaft out. The videos make it look so easy. When I try to pry out the drive shaft, it comes out about a half inch and then won't go any further. I've pried on it fairly aggressively, but it won't go past that half inch point. I"m afraid to put too much force into it for fear of damaging something. I've got some bigger pry bars but I'm exercising restraint before I go to the nuclear option. I prefer that my engine replacement not lead to an engine and tranny replacement.

I've tried prying a little bit and then rotating the shaft a little and prying some more, but no go.

So, now what? Pry like an SOB and hope for the best? I followed the book. Am I overlooking something? It shouldn't be this hard, right?

I've got a '97 Accord with the 2.2 VTEC, automatic transmission and 194K on the clock.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:54 PM

yeah it should just slide out. something's up. push it back in and try again?

is it happening on both sides?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 PM

I have pushed it back in (it wasn't easy) and tried again with the same result. I haven't tried the other side because I can't get the lower ball joint to come out. I'm going to remove the lower arm instead of removing the ball joint and see how easy the other side is.

Other than removing the motor mounts, this is the last thing I have to do before yanking the motor and it's frustrating the you-know-what out of me.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 PM

are you trying to take it out with the outer driveshaft still in the hub?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by doctorbee
are you trying to take it out with the outer driveshaft still in the hub?
Yep. That's what the factory manual says. Just remove the shaft from the transmission side and pivot out of the way.

As far as trying to remove the lower ball joint, I've tried the BFH method and this method with no avail:
. Actually, the second method worked quite well on the opposite side so I can't complain too much.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 PM

i ****ed up my boot using that method and had to replace it, you need a bigger FH. a nail hammer isn't going to cut it

Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 PM

try pushing the problem drive shaft back in, pry it out about a quarter inch, and rapidly pull the driveshaft out. the key to working with cars is high impulse... quick jerks, hence impact wrenches.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by doctorbee
i ****ed up my boot using that method and had to replace it, you need a bigger FH. a nail hammer isn't going to cut it
I've been able to spare the boot so far. If the boot got messed up but I was able to separate the ball joint, that would be the least of my worries.

I used a 3 lb hammer. While it helped to serve as a way to release some of my pent-up anger, it did nothing to solve the problem. I'm going back out there to beat on it some more but I'm starting to feel like this is the definition of insanity.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hold on. You need to remove the axle nut and push the spline on the outer part of the CV joint through the hub.

Watch this video on how to do this.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft removal