General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E brake light

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Default E brake light

About a week ago my e-brake light started to come on for a few seconds whenever i would i floor it. i have no idea what that could be. any suggestions?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: E brake light

That lamp is also triggered by low brake fluid level. Check the float-switch in the brake fluid reservoir.

Maybe it's borderline &sloshing around when you accelerate?
Sometimes the float sticks on that screen inside the reservoir.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Could be low brake fluid, or it could need the updated filter screen in the master cylinder.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:20 AM

k i will check the brake fluid. filter screen?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:06 AM

Mine started doing the same thing. Usually it's off butsometimes it flickers on and off seemingly at random. I thought it was a faulty connection at the actual ebrake switch under the handle. But you guys say it comes on for fluid issues even on 5th gens, I'll check that as well.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

It comes on for both things. It could be a flaky switch at the handbrake lever,so don't be afraid to check that out. But I usually point out the fluid reservoir because lots of people don't realize that can set off the lamp also.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 AM

HondaTechAV6 used to always point out the "updated filter" issue in the 98-02 Accords. Apparently you can even modify your old filter with a pair of pruning shears. Look for brake light threads where HondaTech responded. there should be several out there. he provides a diagram on how to DIY if you want. My brake light used to come on all the time too, but it has stopped now. My clutch fluid was actually low one day when I checked it. I topped it off and I never got a brake light on again. I thought that was weird. I don't know if the sensor reads the clutch fluid level as well as the MC fluid level. it could be simply a coincidence that my light never came back on a gain.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Has to be a coincidence. The float switch is in the cap of thebrake fluid reservoir, & the clutch fluid has it's own separatereservoir.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Has to be a coincidence. The float switch is in the cap of thebrake fluid reservoir, & the clutch fluid has it's own separatereservoir.
that's what i thought. The clutch res has its own cap too. Is there a different light that would come on if the clutch fluid was low?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

My '98 was auto-trans.
My '95 Integra, '03 Accord, & '07 Civic have no sensors on the clutch reservoirs.
So... looks like Honda doesn't normally do that.

Quick Reply: E brake light