General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An easy one for you guys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:59 AM
Default An easy one for you guys.

Ok. My brother just gave me his '87 Accord sedan. It has some issues, but it is pretty fast.

This thing has idle issues. When I got it this morning, it would always idle at 3grand, which really annoys me in any car I drive.

Another issue is that it "Diesels" for about a minute after I shut it off.
BUT!!! Here is the curveball... I can't release the key fast enough when I start it. It takes less than half a second to start... EVERY TIME!

More info on the car.
The filter box says 12valve on it, the valve cover says Honda, and that is it... I have no clue what engine is in this thing.

It IS carburated, but I really want to go to VTEC (anyone have a post about this?)

AND this thing has a LOT of wiring issues... For instance... The electric fan doesn't turn on. The headlights will turn on if you have the magic touch.

What I have already done:
I took the filter box off and messed with the carb. I felt all the vaccum hoses and they all seem to be fine. I felt the throttle linkage; it feels pretty loose.

I switched 2 vaccum hoses around and it dropped my idle to about 2300, but not nearly what I want it to be at.

I didn't check the side of the carb too see if the float was sticking, but I will do that tomorrow.

Even with all the stuff I did to it today, I can still do 0-60 in about6-7 seconds.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 AM
Default RE: An easy one for you guys.

Also, if I am driving down the road, I will let off the clutch and the idle will stay there for a second, even if I let off the gas.

I am kinda thinking the timing is a little advanced.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Nova
When I got it this morning, it would always idle at 3grand,

Another issue is that it "Diesels" for about a minute after I shut it off.
BUT!!! Here is the curveball... I can't release the key fast enough when I start it. It takes less than half a second to start... EVERY TIME!
The idle is either adjusted too high at the throttle stop screw, the butterfly valve is sticking open, or you have a massive air leak somewhere. It diesels because the idle speed is waytoo high, allowing air / fuel mix into the engine in large quantities even after the throttle is 'closed', and you have 'hot spots' in the combustion chambers causing pre-ignition (which will be the case even when the engine is isn't dieseling after shut down, and can cause damage). These hot spots will continue to ignite the fuel / air mix even after the sparks plugs have stopped sparking. Hot spots can be from overheated plugs glowing red hot, or carbon build up glowing red hot.

To address the dieseling, first fix the high idle, then check plug heat range and correct if the plugs are too hot a plug (you might want to fit the coldest recommended plug for that engine). If this doesn't fix it then try trickling a stream of water down the carby throat with the engine running at a high idle, but be careful not to use too much or you can 'hydrolock' the engine causing damage. This 'steam cleans' the combustion chambers and often gets rid of carbonhot spots. You should see dirty steam come out the exhaust pipe, and the engine will run a bit rough while you trickle water in, but if the engine starts to struggle back off the water trickle and increase rpm a bit.

More info on the car.
The filter box says 12valve on it, the valve cover says Honda, and that is it... I have no clue what engine is in this thing.
Find the engine number on the motor or on the vin plate and ask Honda dealer, they can tell you exactly which engine it is, or you search on the net once you have the engine number. Some (all?) Hondaengines have the engine model designation engraved or stamped somehere on the engine block.

It IS carburated, but I really want to go to VTEC (anyone have a post about this?)
I think you will need an entire VTEC engine etc.

AND this thing has a LOT of wiring issues... For instance... The electric fan doesn't turn on. The headlights will turn on if you have the magic touch.
The fan may be cactus, or it may be the coolant temp switch that turns it on, or you may have a loose wire or bad earth or fuse. The lights sound like it's a switch related problem.

What I have already done:
I took the filter box off and messed with the carb. I felt all the vaccum hoses and they all seem to be fine. I felt the throttle linkage; it feels pretty loose.
I highly recommend you don't run the engine without a filter, you'll suck all sorts of crap in and shorten the engine life quite substantially. The loose cable could be associated with the high idle speed, this would fit with the ideas that the throttle stop screw is adjusted too far out or that the butterfly is sticking open.

I switched 2 vaccum hoses around and it dropped my idle to about 2300, but not nearly what I want it to be at.
So long as you remember what you did, you may want to switch them back once you've sorted the real cause of your problems, and anything else you may have "messed with" on the carby.

I didn't check the side of the carb too see if the float was sticking, but I will do that tomorrow.
Float level will have nothing to do with a very high idle problem, it will be air flow related. But,check it anyway.

Even with all the stuff I did to it today, I can still do 0-60 in about6-7 seconds.
Really? That sounds optimistic to me, at least for a standard engine in need of work...

Old 01-20-2008, 05:01 AM

Also, if I am driving down the road, I will let off the clutch and the idle will stay there for a second, even if I let off the gas.

I am kinda thinking the timing is a little advanced.
I would be very surprised if this problem doesn't dissappear once you sort the high idle issue.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

the throttle plate is hanging open, you need to remove the headlight switch carefully open it and clean the contacts and stretch the slider springs a little bit.
Which of the 3 electric fans are you talking about.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:16 PM

Hey! Thanks a lot, guys! This is tons of info.

I will check in on all this.

What is the recommended timing on these?? 8*? 10*? Does this effect what kind of gas I put in it??

On my samurai, they like to run 8* advance for regular, 10* for plus, and 12* on supreme. Is a honda like this?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you could seafoam it to clean the carbon off, but be careful. I hear horror stories where its knocked off a large chunk of carbon and caused one of the valves to stick open.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 PM

yea, seafoam is good stuff. Too good! We used some on our 93 Suzuki Sidekide and it blew the #4 exhaust valve.

I turned the idle down, and now it sits at just about 1500.

When I slow down or back off the throttle, I get this loud gargle coming from the carb, so I took some vacuum line off and it stopped, then I put it back on and it gargled again... My best bet would say this is something of an EGR valve?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:18 PM

Hey! Thanks a lot, guys! This is tons of info.

I will check in on all this.

What is the recommended timing on these?? 8*? 10*? Does this effect what kind of gas I put in it??

On my samurai, they like to run 8* advance for regular, 10* for plus, and 12* on supreme. Is a honda like this?
I've never run advanced timing on a honda and there is no need for you to run anything but 87 octane fuel in that car. Stick with NGK plugs, I'd do a tune up on it if it's due for one... also, if the timing was advanced usually it makes the car take a little longer to start so based on what you've said I don't think it's a timing issue but I'd defenitly check it while you're doing the other adjustments that were mentioned

Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

on a car that old it prolly would not hurt to replace the vaccum lines and check the choke out.

Quick Reply: An easy one for you guys.