General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 AM
Default ECU Compatibility

First post here,

there's a p1382 on my 1998 Honda Accord LX (4dr, MT, 2.3 L, 4cyl); I ran the test in 1998 Accord service manual. It said that I need to replace my ECU, so I browsed Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market.

I'm wondering if an ECU from a 1999 lx or 1998 2dr, EX...would be compatible since the part numbers match up? Would it make any difference?

Thanks

Last edited by FrenchBread; 05-28-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If it's the same part number it will work. Honda dealers that sell parts online are a good resource to check part compatibility.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It would be interesting to hear about original problem and what you did to determine ECM was the problem.

Agree w/ Roader on matching part number exactly. There is no information readily avialable on cross-compatibility of different part numbers.

I have used both Ebay and car-part.com to locate parts and had good results w/ both. Ebay offers some buyer protections that are nice.

CYP sensor faults (P1382) ultimately leading to ECM fault has been seen in 94-97 Accords.

good luck

Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 PM

Roader-I checked Honda Parts | Acura Parts | OEM Honda Automotive Parts to cross check compatibility.

Texas-My CEL would not go away; I checked it w/a scan tool. It came up P1382, CYP sensor no signal. Took it to a shop, and they told me I needed to replace my distributor. I did it myself, and reset the light, but it came back. Ran the test in the book (checked spark plugs, spark plug wires, measure continuity and resistance of distributor 4p connector, and ECU 31 p connector).

Thanks guys, will order the part, have it flashed and repost w/results.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Agree w/ Roader on matching part number exactly. There is no information readily avialable on cross-compatibility of different part numbers.
Oddly, Sons Honda shows four different part numbers for a '98 LX MT ECU. I've never seen multiple ECUs listed for 5th Gens at the dealer parts sites.

Chasing an intermittent CYP fault for a year or so on my car, I'm interested in the outcome.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Roader-Sorry for the wait, it's been a busy couple of weeks, but I installed the ECU last night. I reset it by pulling out the clock backup fuse, after installation. This morning, I had my keys reprogrammed to it, and, when the locksmith started it up, the CEL disappeared. He ran the ignition for 10 seconds 2x, and it didn't come back on. Maybe it's too early to gauge the results, but so far so good.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Roader
Oddly, Sons Honda shows four different part numbers for a '98 LX MT ECU. I've never seen multiple ECUs listed for 5th Gens at the dealer parts sites.

Chasing an intermittent CYP fault for a year or so on my car, I'm interested in the outcome.
Roader, you need the CYP code 9 (cylinder 1 position) to stay long enough to check resistance of sensor at distributor, and if OK again at the ECM connector. If sensor resistance is good at ECM connector also, then ECM fault is very likely. I had same code on my 94EX which was somewhat intermittent but would stay around for some time. After checking as described, I replaced ECM and have had no further problems.

I subsequently had a similar ECM failure on the VTEC solenoid circuit which was resolved w/ a 2nd ECM.

I used to think ECM's were bullet proof, but as the Accords age into 2nd decade they begin to fail, not frequently but I suspect most folks that keep their cars 10+ yrs will see some ECM failures.

good luck

Old 06-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Resistance is in spec for the TEC (external coil) distributor: 350 - 700Ω. But I'm using an EX ECU which is looking for a Hitachi (internal coil) distributor with 800 - 1500Ω. Tried adding 500Ω passive resistance in series but no change.

The good and bad is that the CEL is really intermittent. In the summer I can go months with nothing but then as soon as the weather drops below 40F the CEL will pop up consistently every week.

So I've been keeping an eye on my local Craig's List for someone parting out a '96 - '97 EX that I can snag the ECU and Hitachi distributor out of cheap; I figure one or the other will fix the problem. I have the Hitachi distributor that was originally on the F23 but 6th Gen cars have no tach signal wire from the ICM.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 PM

I ordered mine from salvage yard out of town found through car-part.com. I recollect paying about $25 + shipping. It's been 2-3 yrs back.

Also check ebay for possibilities. I've ordered many parts through ebay w/ great results.

good luck

Old 06-20-2014, 12:52 PM

Definitely try www.car-part.com; it searches salvage yard inventories w/the part listed. So no need to wait for postings on c-list, I only paid $90 for my ECU including shipping, and it's been good. It's been two full days, and CEL hasn't come back. I passed Albuquerque emissions during that time; now I just need to solve my open title...

Quick Reply: ECU Compatibility