General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

egr check engine light code, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE: egr check engine light code, need help

I had leaks in both metal lines to and from the EGR valve and solenoid. Once I bypassed them with some vacuum hose, everything worked and my P1491 code went away. If those metal lines get bent, they crack at the mount and leak.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 AM

i'm not sure but i think the problem has been fixed, i haven't thrown the code for 2 days now, usually when i clear the code it throws it again within a day, but i still have the spitting and sputtering at idle , but no code is being thrown, so i don't know what the problem is, it doesn't affect the performance of the car, the car is as fast as it has been, just at idle it spits and sputters a little bit, more of an annoyance than anything else

Old 03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

spits and sputters huh?
Spark plugs,plug wires, IACV screen plugged up, ring of crud around the throttle plate, valve adjustment, timing, vacum leak.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM

wow, lots of options , does it help if i tell you that as soon as i apply gas it goes away, the car is significantly fast, seems to have lost no power, just the noise at idle, i am probably not describing this right either, it's hard to put into words what the sound i am hearing sounds like, i don't know, kind of like a paugh sound , sound the p , then sound the augh , it's seems to be as random as it could possible be , sometimes does it only once, sometime back to back to back , but once i hit the gas, she's gone no hesitation, maybe i could call someone on the phone and they could listen to it, or maybe i could record it and post it somehow, it frustrates me that i can't explain it the way i want to, but anyways, thanks so much everyone for your input, i appreaciate it

Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 PM

Last time I ha that problem I needed a fuel pump, but i guess your car starts fine.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 PM

yes, the car starts just fine, it's just at idle it has this noise it makes. just kinda like a miss in the engine or a mini backfire sort of, i'm going to try and get a way to record it and upload it to the web so it can be heard.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:09 PM

ok, i took some video with sound , from my razr cell phone, not the best quality but maybe it can help with my problem, when you go to this link there is 2 videos , the first one is low res. but i think you hear it better, the 2nd is higher res. but doesn't seem to hear as well, you got to have real player or quick time i think to veiw this from tmobile site , here is the link

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/jdmu...=1207008420566

Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM

ok, new update, check engine light came back on today, going to go to autozone and read the code agian, will post back when i get it, also has anyone listened to my car making noise in the post above,? looking for help

Old 04-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Ok I have he same problem, I also have the same fast idle and it started from the EGR valve. I connected the hoses wrong and since driving the car stopped and i connected it right, now i have a fast idle, Probly because i tried to clean the solonoid and now its clogged. I have cleaned my FICV, FITV And still nothing So im going to the junk yard and im going to replace all these parts. Good luck to you man, the only thing i can say is to clean your EGR ports, mine was clogged with carbon.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Cody ... this link should help you fix that problem..Sign Up At Will...

Quick Reply: egr check engine light code, need help