General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR VALVE CAUSING CAR TO STALL/ POWER STEERING FOAMING

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Default EGR VALVE CAUSING CAR TO STALL/ POWER STEERING FOAMING

ok fellaz as in my other thread with the crankshaft bolt i stated the whole head job and that its finished..

car ran great brand new like for like an hour.. then it started stalling out again and seemed like it was misfiring..

so while the car was on we took the #4 spark plug wire off and it seemed to wanted to run 100%.. we was like hmmmm.....

so we looked around and took the vaccum hose from the EGR valve off and Everything Ran perfect again like it reseted..

it ran good for a while but then a half hour later it did it again.. i took off the vaccum hose for literally 2 seconds and put it back on and the car caught up with itself and ran good again no stalling..

Does it need to be cleaned? Replaced? because this eseems really weird how that can cause the car to be so rough and stall out so quick.. the car wont start unless i give it gas and when it starts and i let off, it stalls right away

the power steering... well we had the car tilted for a long time because of that whole crankshaft bolt problem.... and we're thinking it just has some air pockets... no leaks at all.. but it bubbles up and foams out the top... and the power steering is loud when turning.. do you think it still needs time to burp it out? is there a quicker way to burp it out? i already tilted it and again and tryed but got nothin...

what do you think fellas?

Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: EGR VALVE CAUSING CAR TO STALL/ POWER STEERING FOAMING

The ports for the EGR might need cleaned that are physically in the intake manifold. There is a plate under the fuel injectors that is held in by ~5 bolts. Remove that plate and gasket and clean out all of the holes underneath. You should use a shop vac to get most of that crap out of the intake when picking away at it, since your head was just rebuilt. Then use throttle body cleaner to dissolve the rest out.

You might want to remove the EGR valve and clean out the passages under there too.

Google search T2T013.pdf and that will give you an excelent set of instructions on how to clean the egr ports. Just look at the last couple of pages for the 5th gen instructions.

As for the PS pump. Take off the cap, start the car and keep in park and turn the car on. Turn the steering wheel full left, then full right four of five times to get the air out of the PS lines. You might have to repeat that a couple of times untill it stops foaming. Remember to put cap back on when finished.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 PM

yea tomorrow after work i'll try the cleaning for the EGR, sounds like it should do the trick.. i really dont want to spend $170 on a new one lol...

and for those steps for the power steering.. i did that like for a half hour lol.. its just being stuck up.. it will eventually burp out... thanx for the EGR tips will try out tomorrow and update this thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure you didn't swap out that vacum line from somewhere else whenyou had the top end all apart?
if there is vacum on that line when the car is at idle, there is more problem than the EGR valve.
FWIW the EGR ports plugged up or not will have no effect on idle.

Change out the #4 plug wire and or spark plug.
when you get this first problem solved and decide you want to clean out the EGR ports anyway, here's a link;
http://www.freewebs.com/hondadude/95...5AccordEGR.htm