General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical issue 1990 130k

Old 11-16-2018, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

That looks like a page out of the Helm shop manual, just like I have for 1998-2002. Just for comparison, here's what I found...

Towards the beginning of the "Restraints" section are wiring diagrams for the system, and I found the seat-belt switches. Those switches in 1998 have a 3-wire connector, with 2 of the wires going to the SRS controller, and the 3rd wire to a ground G-501.

Then I had to go to the "Body Electrical" section to find an illustration of the location of G-501. Its buried under the center of the dashboard, forwards of the radio & HVAC controls. It's a bolt with half-dozen wires, bolted to a metal strut up there somewhere.

Your 1990 will be different, but I'm just saying the ground connection isn't ALWAYS real close to the component that uses it.

If you've used a multi-meter or something to verify that the seatbelt switch is working properly, then you have to start looking elsewhere in the wiring. If that takes you to a broken wire somewhere, or insulation rubbed off & shorting to ground, or a grounding screw that's loose or corroded, whatever you can find that isn't right. That shop manual should have a very thorough troubleshooting process in addition to the switch itself.

PS: Your page says "KY model only". Where are you located? I've never heard of "KY model", and I really doubt that Honda made a special model for Kentucky. I don't recognize that as a country or region... (maybe I'm just dense).

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-16-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:35 PM

Hi Jim

Finally getting back to this after a lot of banging my head against the wall. Thanks for your walk through of how to troubleshoot. The issue I'm having is maybe the pdf of my shop manual is incomplete? I can't find anywhere in it that it shows you where the different grounds are located physically in the car. My manual doesn't have a "Body Electric" section, just one for Electrical, which has the wiring diagrams and then descriptions of different components, but nothing on the physical location of the grounds which is the step I really need.

I've got a 1990 and I know you have the 93 manual so maybe I just need to look and try and find another download at this point. Getting frustrated at what should be a pretty simple troubleshoot. As for the KY thing in the manual--I have no idea what that is! I've googled it a bunch and nothing comes up, but it is all through the manual, giving different options for KY, KE, KX.

Originally Posted by JimBlake
That looks like a page out of the Helm shop manual, just like I have for 1998-2002. Just for comparison, here's what I found...

Towards the beginning of the "Restraints" section are wiring diagrams for the system, and I found the seat-belt switches. Those switches in 1998 have a 3-wire connector, with 2 of the wires going to the SRS controller, and the 3rd wire to a ground G-501.

Then I had to go to the "Body Electrical" section to find an illustration of the location of G-501. Its buried under the center of the dashboard, forwards of the radio & HVAC controls. It's a bolt with half-dozen wires, bolted to a metal strut up there somewhere.

Your 1990 will be different, but I'm just saying the ground connection isn't ALWAYS real close to the component that uses it.

If you've used a multi-meter or something to verify that the seatbelt switch is working properly, then you have to start looking elsewhere in the wiring. If that takes you to a broken wire somewhere, or insulation rubbed off & shorting to ground, or a grounding screw that's loose or corroded, whatever you can find that isn't right. That shop manual should have a very thorough troubleshooting process in addition to the switch itself.

PS: Your page says "KY model only". Where are you located? I've never heard of "KY model", and I really doubt that Honda made a special model for Kentucky. I don't recognize that as a country or region... (maybe I'm just dense).

Old 01-01-2019, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Ground to the seat belt switch is at G501 for a coupe or sedan. It is located under the left front seat, under the carpet.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks RedBull. (The only shop manual I have is 1998-2002.)

Old 01-02-2019, 12:07 PM

Thanks Redbull that's what I needed. Do I need to pull the seat and all the carpet up to at this ground or is there an easier way?

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Ground to the seat belt switch is at G501 for a coupe or sedan. It is located under the left front seat, under the carpet.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like the seat track is bolted down right alongside that ground screw.

I can't tell which corner of the seat mounting - but I'm guessing you might loosen 2 bolts for the seat, remove the other 2, and tilt the seat one way or the other, far enough to give yourself room to work. But it's not too difficult to unplug the wires, remove the seat, & get a lot more room to work.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:41 PM

Finally got enough free time to attack this today. Learned a few things and got an additional question if anyone's got a sec.

If you've got a 90 Honda there is a flap in the carpet right under the front seat. If you push the seat back all the way you'll see it. The ground for the seat belt chime and for something else (there's two wires grounded) is right back behind that flap. I think theoretically you could (or the flap exists so that you can) get a wrench on the 10mm that's holding the grounds down. Would be tight but seems possible.

The question. As is often with old as heck cars, putting it back together was the real problem. I could not get all the seat bolts (I totally removed the seat) back in no matter how I pulled the carpet and yanked on the seat. Anyone have a trick or two to get the final bolt to go all the way in?

As an alternative: I got that last bolt maybe 3/4 of the way in but it wont go any further. I'd rather get it fixed all the way than drive on it but any advice if it'd be okay to drive with the last bolt in 3/4 of the way?

Old 07-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by hlockquiok
Finally got enough free time to attack this today. Learned a few things and got an additional question if anyone's got a sec.

If you've got a 90 Honda there is a flap in the carpet right under the front seat. If you push the seat back all the way you'll see it. The ground for the seat belt chime and for something else (there's two wires grounded) is right back behind that flap. I think theoretically you could (or the flap exists so that you can) get a wrench on the 10mm that's holding the grounds down. Would be tight but seems possible.

The question. As is often with old as heck cars, putting it back together was the real problem. I could not get all the seat bolts (I totally removed the seat) back in no matter how I pulled the carpet and yanked on the seat. Anyone have a trick or two to get the final bolt to go all the way in?

As an alternative: I got that last bolt maybe 3/4 of the way in but it wont go any further. I'd rather get it fixed all the way than drive on it but any advice if it'd be okay to drive with the last bolt in 3/4 of the way?
Loosen the other 3, and maybe pull the 4th one out and see if it has a damaged thread. Then start all 4, starting with the rear ones.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Take it apart far enough you can see all around underneath the mounting points. Any piece of debris get down there where it blocks the bolt from going all the way in?

Old 09-08-2019, 03:21 PM

hi all
so i managed to get the sat bolted back together, but unfortunately the chime problem came back.
so i feel like the issue was not the G-501 ground. I sanded it real good and the connection was in good shape, no oxidation.
the current electrical problems are the seatbelt chime bings constantly (not every time you start it, but maybe every other) and the radio doesn't work (it tuns on, has power, but no sound comes out through the speakers).
if anyone had a second to help troubleshoot I would really appreciate it. i don't have a pdf of the shop manual for this year.
thanks again and in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical issue 1990 130k