General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical issues 96 accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:40 AM
honsolo
Unregistered
Default electrical issues 96 accord

shift lock stopped working(step on brake and cant take out of park(--windows ,sunroof,speedometer,tachometer,temp gauge,shift indicator in instrument panel,rear defogger,and reverse lights all quit at the same time. could this be classic failure at shifter,or a relay or wiring issues?do all these items point to one thing that is common to fail on '96 accord 2-door? thanks for all help

Old 05-10-2006, 02:01 AM
Default RE: electrical issues 96 accord

I would look to a fuse, the fuse might control all those functions and if the fuse blows then all that stuff stops. Try this. There is a hole next to the shifter (i think it says "shift release") put your key in the hole and push down, then try to move the shift lever. That should allow you to drive the car. Check the fuse under the hood.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:13 AM
honsolo
Unregistered

all fuses are good including main relay.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Administrator

Okay...here's what you need to do next..
First see if you have any brake lights..
if you dont then I suggest you change your brakelight switch..this happen'd to me last Monday and I figured it out and that's what I found to fix it.

Let me know if that was it!

WheelbrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 05-10-2006, 02:46 AM
honsolo
Unregistered

brake lights definately work as well as blinkers, tail lights and side markers on bumper.no reverse lights.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like you got an issue with the instrument clutster wiring .. i will have to look further into this ,, see if i can find a common denomenator

1 common thing i found is they share a fuse,,,,,,,,,,,,underdash fuse # 1 ,,10 amps,,, doubke chk it make sure it is ok,,

Old 05-17-2006, 12:08 AM
kid
Unregistered

i just got my 95 accoord going was doing the same thing my fuses we all good until i checked them again my 7.5 intrument fuse was not blown but was cheap one, fuse was lose replaced it working good after a lot of money trying to fix

Old 05-17-2006, 12:43 AM
mikez
Unregistered

It may be your neutral safety switch. It's located on the side of the transmission, and it prevents your car from starting in gear. However, it is also wired to the reverse lights. I'm not sure, but it may also be wired (either directly or indirectly) to other parts of your electrical system.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yo.. honsolo.........any news?? was the fuse blown ??

Old 05-19-2006, 03:13 PM

I had same problems as posted here by honsolo. My car '94 Accord EX sedan 4-cyl VTEC auto transmission. After reading Deserthonda's advice here, I checked my #1 fuse and found it blown. Replaced it, and everthing is now working fine. Thanks, Deserthonda!

Honsolo ... did you get your problem fixed also?

Quick Reply: electrical issues 96 accord