General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elusive oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Default Elusive oil leak

On the new 94 accord I picked up, I have a pretty heavy oil leak. After laying under the car for an hour, cleaning up as much as I can, I find the oil running down around right where the left drive axle enters the transmission. Actually looks like it's coming out of that seal but I know it's oil, not ATF. So it must be dripping there from the top and running down around the driveshaft to the bottom of the tranny. From the top of the car, I really can't see anything. The cruise control module is right in the way along with the intake tube and hoses and all sorts of stuff. I picked up an inspection mirror today to see if that will help any. But I'm really stumped. It doesn't appear to be coming out of the valve cover gasket or distributor but it's somewhere behind the distributor and below the passenger side of the intake manifold. Pretty frustrating and with as much oil is coming out you'd think it would be easy.

Any suggestions or commons issues here?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Is the oil leak on the driver's side of the engine or the passenger side?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Passenger side, run down the transmission and drips off the bottom of it. I can see it flowing from where the left drive axle enters the tranny, but because of obstructions, I can't see the source above.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Common items on the passenger side of the engine are the valve cover gasket, vtec solenoid, and the distributor o-ring. The oil pressure sending unit is common, but you would see oil on the back of the block.

If you go to the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, you can download 94 shop manual that will show you the location of these items, torque specs, etc..

Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Common items on the passenger side of the engine are the valve cover gasket, vtec solenoid, and the distributor o-ring. The oil pressure sending unit is common, but you would see oil on the back of the block.

If you go to the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, you can download 94 shop manual that will show you the location of these items, torque specs, etc..
OK, I think I can check off the valve cover gasket and distributor because I'm confident I can see that those are not leaking the amount of oil I'm seeing. Though since my last Accord was not a Vtec, I'm working on a Vtec for the first time. I do not know what/where the vtec solenoid is and not sure on the oil pres. sender. I'll find these in the manual as you suggest. The leak only exists when the motor is running.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

The vtec solenoid is on the cylinder head on the back and passenger side of the car. That figure 8 gasket is a common source for a leak.

The oil pressure sending unit is way above the oil filter on the back of the engine just above the metal pipe that carries coolant to the thermostat.

If you find the vtec is the source, then drain the coolant and remove the entire thermostat housing, because the lower bolt is impossible to access without removal. You might be tempted to use a boxed end wrench on that bolt, and think that you don't have to remove the thermostat housing. Do not attempt, because you will strip the bolt head. Guess how I know?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The vtec solenoid is on the cylinder head on the back and passenger side of the car. That figure 8 gasket is a common source for a leak.

The oil pressure sending unit is way above the oil filter on the back of the engine just above the metal pipe that carries coolant to the thermostat.

If you find the vtec is the source, then drain the coolant and remove the entire thermostat housing, because the lower bolt is impossible to access without removal. You might be tempted to use a boxed end wrench on that bolt, and think that you don't have to remove the thermostat housing. Do not attempt, because you will strip the bolt head. Guess how I know?
Man, that sucks. When I get a chance I'll dive into again and see if that's it. I have an inspection mirror now hoping that will help. I really hate oil leaks and the mess and extra maintenance they cause. My last Accord had a rear main and oil pan gasket leaking. The rear main was not fun and I goofed it up putting it in the first time with a homemade PVC seal installer. Had to go buy another one for $40. Was very nice when all the leaks were gone though.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, you might get lucky-----there is a "top" seal/o-ring to the vtec

Last edited by poorman212; 08-06-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-07-2011, 12:04 PM

So, spent all day saturday going through a bunch of stuff. I was able to remove the solenoid without draining any coolant. Access to the bottom bolt was a little difficult but I got it without too much of a struggle. Replaced all the gaskets. Pulled the distributor and replaced the o-ring. Also replaced the squeeling starter with a new one. Buttoned it all back up and cleaned and pressured washed the whole engine compartment to look like new and I don't see any oil leaks. However, I pulled the plugs to check them and they are completely wasted, worn down to the insulator. While I had the plugs out I thought I'd check the compression. I was getting about 160 per hole. Seems good. However, during the process of turning over the engine for the compression test, I heard a couple of 'pops'.

I'm going to start a new thread, since this is a new problem unrelated to an oil leak.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

So how did you get the bottom bolt on the vtec?

Quick Reply: Elusive oil leak